Let sleeping bats lie.

mvmhm

We had a number of people come through today, but it wasn't until closing time someone came into the office and said I needed to see something. Apparently this critter mistook Colonel Hayes' shoulder holster as a roost. Using meat tongs and a Styrofoam clamshell food container, I pulled him off...which by the way, bat claws on nylon - Holy Velcro, Batman! This makes Bat #7 I've caught or killed.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-12214200-1379032490.jpg

I knew we had another one somewhere, because I find little pee puddles on the tops of the display cases from time to time..but normally I find them hanging near a heating pipe that goes up to the 2nd floor..there's a small opening around it, and they get in there to roost. Even with people crowding around to take pictures (with flash), the thing didn't move....until I grabbed him with the tongs.

Mark sends

I lived in rural Pa for many years.

It was common to get bats and birds in the house.

Thats when my old Lacrosse stick came in handy.

Tip them into the cradle, rock-em and fire-em out the window.

I had a collection of old American flags tacked to the ceiling and they would roost in between.

Why a death sentence?

Some have been fluttering around and falling over...obviously they're sick....this one and two others I let go.

Mark sends

One of the volunteers took it outside and let it crawl up a tree...hopefully he'll tell his buddies "they don't wanna go in there...".

Mark sends

Hey Mark, you could do like I do. I used my Blackhawk to get rid of three of them last night. Was doing FLIR training and was attempting to show the difference between light and radiation to one of my pilots. There was a pair of searchlights pointed skyward and we used that as a training aid. Know what lights draw? bugs. Know what bugs draw? Bats! Thousands of them, well, now three less. Know when you hit a bat? big grease spot with hair stuck in it. At least I am at ease that they died happy. Know the last thing that goes through a bat's mind right before smashing them? "Holy crap, look at the size of this bug"

I haven't had any problems with bats, but no raccoons receive pardons around me. Multitude of problems beyond the nuisance issue, they're pretty chock full of disease as well. At least the guy tries to let them go when he can.

Why a death sentence?

Bats are indispensible for taking care of the local mosquito populations. It's not uncommon in areas with lots of mosquitos for land owners to erect bat colonies to control the problem. Nature's checks and balances at it's best. If one doesn't like mosquitos, one should like bats. If one doesn't like either one and lives in an area which has both, one should move.

Steve

Nobody's disputing what bats do, but when the ones in question at the OP's museum act sick, with their tendency to carry nasty diseases, all I am saying is you can't fault him for taking care of those particular bats.

Put it this way !! if you live in the UK it is against our laws to move or to disrupt any bat roosts ! I work in the building industry and when we start a new job on an old house we hope and pray that there are no bats in the building as that could spell the end for any development on that building

LB

YankeeSpirit76

Put it this way !! if you live in the UK it is against our laws to move or to disrupt any bat roosts ! I work in the building industry and when we start a new job on an old house we hope and pray that there are no bats in the building as that could spell the end for any development on that building

LB

Bats are a protected species here in the States also.

Bats are a protected species here in the States also.

Judt can't poison them. In Texas, if it's in a building occupied by people, it's fair game.