Iwo Jima (Iwo To)

Chap15

usmchistorian

One of my dreams as well. Don't know if it will ever come to pass. I know the Japanese don't allow any tourists but the Marine Corps can bring whom ever they wish. I don't know if this still holds true today. So sadly, no average civilians I guess.

Thanks for sharing these amazing photos. I would love to visit one day. I wonder what the process is. I believe that the island is a Japanese base once again. I'm sure there is a lot of red tape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Corpsmancollector

Thanks for sharing the images of your trip with us, some very historic and moving sites. Hallowed ground indeed.

Will

Thanks for taking the time to share the photos of your trip. It must have been a very moving experience. Truly hallowed ground!

Jules

• 2 months later...

I'd love to see to see the island from the landing approaches...to see the same perspective my grandfather saw when he was delivering Marines and SeaBees there. I couldn't set foot on the island.

- S

How can one get to iwo? Iwo and betio would be on my bucket list.

Amazing is all I can say!

In regards to Betio/Tarawa that would be no place to visit as it is all developed and covered in trash, a trashy Palm Springs resort. Google earth it.

thefallenbuddha

It is possible to visit Iwo by requesting permission from the Japanese Coast Guard or Self Defense Marine Authority, and you don't have to be Japanese (but it would be best if you could speak the language a little or have someone come along as an interpreter). A couple of trips a year are open to the public (but these are not regularly scheduled....and numbers vary from year to year). I personally know of one Australian man in Japan who was allowed to join one of these trips. Of course, being a "veteran" or family thereof does increase your chances of being allowed to come along, but the main point is to show you have a vested interest in seeing the island, i.e. professional research - or something along those lines.

Kurt Barickman

The US memorial near the spot of the flag raising had many items the Marines would place there. There was also a memorial to the Soldier who filled the flag raising. He died shortly after he filmed the event.

attachicon.gifIMG_6252.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6264.JPG

Genaust hailed from MN and in particular Minneapolis. His bride was from a small town near me in southern MN entitled Bricelyn.

Kurt

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...