I.D. US camouflage pattern needed.........

Flightpath

Hi,

I was looking at a book in the library in the school where I work at lunchtime today and spotted this photo, the caption said it was taken just after D-Day near Normandy.

I noticed the camouflage pattern worn by the US soldiers on the (well loaded) half-track, I've not seen it around the time/place before.

USD-Daycammo_zps4caaf384.jpg

cheers,

-John

During operation cobra units of the 2nd Armored division, notably the 41st Armored Infantry Regiment seen in the photo above, were issued 2 piece camouflage HBTs. They lasted about a month in combat. There is some evidence that men were cofused with Germans leading to some fratricide, and it was also noted that the camo does not work well in that region. I was on the spot where this photo was taken back in 2006 as part of the 2nd Armored in Europe trip "back to the Bocage"

Tom Bowers

Thanks guys, I can see why the average GI used to seeing normal US and british uniforms might mistaken this for a german at a distance, they would do better in the pacific (even looks a little like today's aussie AUSCAM). I guess they are pretty hard to find nowadays, nice set you have Johan!

cheers,

-John

Cut down T-handle, always thought that was an airborne thing.

Everything is Airborne and Rigger made ...first rule! until proven otherwise. The USMC used cut down shovels as well.