My B3 jacket variant

mr_lits

Living in Anchorage necessitates a nice warm jacket, so I decided I deserved a B3. Now the frugal side of me is like what the hell man just go ahead and buy an Eastman... right?? Well after much personal debate I have waylaid the Eastman for a future year and decided to make my own....

I was able to buy up a modern sheepskin for the base of the jacket. It came to me second hand but still quite fresh and without any balding of the fur. Easy part done.

Then finding an original beat to death b3 to scavenge for parts... took a bit of time to find one for $50.00 but I was able to get one and salvage all the straps, buckles and trim.

And finally after many countless hours of hand stitching through the holes in the old leather I was able to assemble my jacket. I even sewed in the old HLB contract label into place.

Though I know it is not a completely faithful reproduction, I think it is a great compromise between a $1000 Eastman and my $200 of material costs. Plus I like slash pockets to keep my hand s warm in the temps up here. And plus I make the coat look damn good, if I do say so myself...

post-112555-0-02763200-1378779156.jpg

post-112555-0-71527900-1378779170.jpg

post-112555-0-07356200-1378779176.jpg

post-112555-0-92301600-1378779184.jpg

post-112555-0-11372700-1378779193.jpg

post-112555-0-32211600-1378779198.jpg

Top marks for ingenuity and patience!! It's a very good look-alike! Here's my Eastman by way of comparison. I'll bet yours was a heck of a lot less expensive?! ;)

post-8022-0-56628100-1378795593.jpg

post-8022-0-21774400-1378795602.jpg

Fantastic Work!!! I've repaired some B-3s and have the materials for this same project, but never got around to the sewing. Thanks for the inspiration.

Tim

Thanks guys, it would be pretty cool to make another but I would literally have to charge like $700-800 to make it worth my time. And I think my fingers would go full on revolt...

Nice Eastman Sabre, thats the jacket I would have gone for if I went that route. Im saving that jacket for a few years down the line.

It is all hand stitched. I wanted to use the old sew holes in the leather, a machine would have done too much new perforation to the sheepskin as well. The thread is from a company called Gutermann, it is good and strong. And counting my empty spools I must have gone through at least 120m of it on the jacket!!

No, its not my first rodeo with a needle and thread. Though by my wife's standards I'm an absolute amateur. I have to give her a good bit of credit with giving me some helpful tips along the way.

So, I bought a Army Air Force shoulder decal and am considering putting it on the jacket. I am a bit hesitant as the jacket is so nice and don't want to mess it up. I have never used these decals before and don't want to muck up the jacket. Has anyone used one of these before or know the proper process for application? Or any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Rob.

post-112555-0-24002200-1378923467.jpg

A word of caution. I've used original vintage water-slide decals myself...not on jackets, I hasten to add. However, as soon as they came into contact with water, the backing paper curled up and the design(s) disintegrated! Obviously, they have a shelf-life. I've seen modern-made equivalents for sale ( Bell's or Garcia's?) so they might be a safer bet? That said, if you read Eastman's literature, it says somewhere about the processes involved in applying the decals onto their leather jackets...it's not as simple as just water-slide!

That is what I was afraid of. This one is a reproduction and not an original so I believe it would still be good to use but want to make sure I do it right. I will check Eastmans website and see if I can find any literature on it. Thanks for the tip Sabre.

Rob thats is an awsome piece of work !! my hat goes off to you for the inginuity !!!!

by the way wnat chest size are you ??? as i have a spare Eastman B3 thats practically brand new and its too large for me !!!

LB

That is what I was afraid of. This one is a reproduction and not an original so I believe it would still be good to use but want to make sure I do it right. I will check Eastmans website and see if I can find any literature on it. Thanks for the tip Sabre.

If I recall, there's an element of heat application involved? Also, with water-slide decals, they need a smooth, non-porous base to adhere properly, so at the very least you'd need to varnish the area where you would be applying the decal...then seal it with some clear varnish afterwards. It's not an impossible task...but you only have one shot at it!

Paint it on Rob !!! i think it would look more authentic B) or even just leave it plain and get a leather squadron patch from "johnny signor" there is also another guy on here who makes multi piece leather patches !!

C

Leather patches!! Great idea Carl. That might just be a best bet. I had thought about making stencils for the set and painting it on as well. We'll see The jacket is complete now and anything I choose to do from here on out is just extras, but I really like the idea of leather patches!!

A couple of years ago, Eastman released a DVD which showed how they make their B3s from start to finish...I have a copy. Fascinating stuff...the attention to detail is incredible. I don't know if it was ever released in the US because we have different DVD operating systems, Region 1 / Region 2 etc.

That would be pretty cool to see. The machines you have to use to stitch leather of that caliber are quite impressive. They make a great product! If I am over in your neck of the woods I would love to go to the shop and take a tour and bring home a jacket or two.

They use original vintage sewing machines which sew parallel lines, for example when taping over the seams. Old production techniques are used wherever possible.

Ha, too funny!! Yeah I've seen it on their website. I really want one like the A2 book but for the sheepskins!!

Ain't no such book...yet!! :D