Replacement Pads for AN goggles....?

mr_lits

Im looking for a replacement set of eye cushions for an old pair of AN-6530 goggles. I know Bells Aviation has em. Is there anyone else out there who has the replacement eyepads? I'm specifically looking for the two cushion set. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to bump on this one.....I'm looking for a pad as well. The only ones I can find now are listed on Bell's, but at $125....that doesn't sit too well with my wallet, when complete repro's are available at WPG for what the pad costs..... Has anyone ever made or currently makes repro pads for $50 or less?

I ended up going the Bells route and sewing them into the retainer rings. And they looks great. It is a bit pricey but I think the final results are fantastic. It really gives the goggles a whole new life. I have kept the original pads just to go with them. I will post photos of the final results soon.

Here are the replacement pads installed in the goggles. It took a bit of stitching but was not overly complicated. I am quite happy with the result think it has given this old set of goggles a new life. I might also mention, the folks at Bells were a pleasure to deal with. It hurt to drop the coin on the set but think the end product is a wonderful new bit of life in an old piece.

post-112555-0-03719600-1380264374.jpg

post-112555-0-45564900-1380264381.jpg

post-112555-0-06012900-1380264387.jpg

post-112555-0-64606700-1380264392.jpg

" FA along long long way to go !!!!!! " i was nearly up a mountain then singing that !!!! :D

Rob you need to change your career !!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a set of the later one piece AN's. How do yo get the old pads off and back in? They look crimped.

Thanks,

Mike

First you start by removing the strap from the frames. After this is done the ferules (metal pieces located just behind the eyelets for the straps) are pulled off. This should allow the goggle frames to open up and release the cushions, retainer rings and lenses. You will notice that the retainer rings are stitched to the old cushion frames. You will then need to remove the old cushions from the retainer rings (may involve a bit of work if the old pads have rotted into a goo on the rings). Stitch on the replacements pads to the rings. Note the way they were stitched on originally and attempt to replicate, I take deconstruction photos as I go for reference. At which point you are ready to reassemble the goggles. Reverse the process of disassembly and voila new goggles...

It is a bit of work but well worth it to breath a bit of new life into an old item.

I forgot to mention that the new pads seem to take up a bit more room in the frame and can be a bit frustrating to get the ferules back on. To solve this issue I trim down a bit of the excess material on the cushion that is sewn to the retainer ring to ease the squeeze on the frames.

Be sure while reassembling the goggles not to force it all to much. if it is not going together well, do a bit of light trimming to the lip of the cushion that makes contact with the retainer to thin out material bit by bit until you achieve a snug and secure fit to the frames.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents,

Believe I have a two cushion set somewhere stashed away. I bought them a few years ago from Bell's but never did use them. Also I think I have the original retainer rings that will need to be sewn to them, To be honest I just didn't have the patience that mr_lits has to sew the retainer rings on. I bought them a few years ago and I know I did not pay the $125 they are asking now. i think I paid right around $75 for them, without the retainer rings, which I will include. If there is still an interest out there for a pair just reply here and I'll post in the proper FS section of the forum.

Gents,

Believe I have a two cushion set somewhere stashed away. I bought them a few years ago from Bell's but never did use them. Also I think I have the original retainer rings that will need to be sewn to them, To be honest I just didn't have the patience that mr_lits has to sew the retainer rings on. I bought them a few years ago and I know I did not pay the $125 they are asking now. i think I paid right around $75 for them, without the retainer rings, which I will include. If there is still an interest out there for a pair just reply here and I'll post in the proper FS section of the forum.

I would be in the cushions if they are still available....I have a set of goggles I need cushions for....

Mike