wrapped Squad Kit cans

Fausto

Hello!

Just found this wrapped brass can for the Squad Cleaning Kit. Nothing special, but I was surprised to see a WWI spare parts (ex cosmoline) can accurately wrapped in January 1945 when tons of newly made cans were around... Noticeable effort to spare what was still good and serviceable... Here also some pictures of the more common Stern cans made during WWII and a small selection of WWI brass cans and WWII iron cans...

Fausto

post-8381-0-72029800-1378715161.jpg

post-8381-0-44817800-1378715177.jpg

Good looking couple... I have some National Needle Co. stripping tools like your one, still sealed in their red wrapping... Mine are dated May,1944 and June,1944. But all of them have a tan label overstapled on the original label, which reads:

1 J012-55-64149

SCREWDRIVER, PISTOL

METHOD I

PACKED SEPT 1954 RIA

I love these screwdrivers, in particular the first one I got, which was sent to me many years ago by Mr. Charles "Chuck" Clawson... I never met this gentleman, but we had some letters (and gifts...) exchange about 16 years ago, at the time I got his "big" book from a dealer and I found in it his P.O. address... A really kind person!

Fausto

Hi Blair,

Here some pictures of M5 brushes, both WWI and between Wars black bristle, and WWII and post WWII brass ones. Not good pictures but it was just what I had on hand in my files...And, please note, all items not in my collection...

post-8381-0-63746600-1378801081.jpg

post-8381-0-37151800-1378801093.jpg

post-8381-0-77899000-1378801103.jpg

In the first two pictures from the top the M5 black bristle brushes (made with black died pig bristles).In the third picture the brass M5 rods. Please note the rare U.H.Co. bright unfinished rods, made between the Wars. The last picture is of another M5 brass brush. As for the bristle brushes you can detect the fakes from the original, just taking a bristle and put it on a flame. If it burns and smells like a burned hair, well, it is a good one. If it melts and smells like burned plastic, no good, it is a reproduction.

As for the M5 brass brushes, I found up today at least three original Gvt. variations (taken from original boxes): truncated top and crimped at the bottom, truncated at the top and looped at the bottom, looped at the top and crimped at the bottom...The twisted wire can be found in brass or in iron...

Hope this can help...

Fausto