US types on the flight-line at Duxford

Sabrejet

That F-86 is a beauty!

JD

I totally agree with your sentiments JD. If I'm not mistaken it's the only airworthy F-86A.

Great pics, Ian. I've always enjoyed my trips to Duxford. Regards.......Bob

Thanks Bob. So I'm preaching to the converted?! ;)

That line of Spitfires is amazing. I would love to see something like that for real! I think down deep I am more of a Hurricane man, but those Spits are a thing of beauty. I am surprised that there is only one airworthy F-86A. A sad statement about how the average American does not respect their history. Oh I almost forgot.....that B-17 is OK too. I always enjoy the pictures you post of these great English air shows.

Steve

SergeantMajorGray

That line of Spitfires is amazing. I would love to see something like that for real! I think down deep I am more of a Hurricane man, but those Spits are a thing of beauty. I am surprised that there is only one airworthy F-86A. A sad statement about how the average American does not respect their history. Oh I almost forgot.....that B-17 is OK too. I always enjoy the pictures you post of these great English air shows.

Steve

I don't know about the F-86A in particular but there are several airworthy Sabres.

SergeantMajorGray

Hey...it's a free country...like what you want! ;) It's actually a Spanish Hispano "Buchon". After the war the Spaniards got hold of Bf 109 tooling...but no engines! So, ironically, they fitted its arch-enemy and the engine which defeated it...the Rolls Royce Merlin which powered the Spitfire, Hurricane....and P-51! These planes served with the Spanish AF until the 60s and this one, like many of its brothers, played the "bad guys" in the classic movie The Battle of Britain.

Cool history on that one but the reason they are my favorite is because how it sounds with the German engine ;)

Cool history on that one but the reason they are my favorite is because how it sounds with the German engine ;)

The RR Merlin gives it a nice throaty British roar! The Daimler-Benz motor hasn't been heard since 1945! ;)

The RR Merlin gives it a nice throaty British roar! The Daimler-Benz motor hasn't been heard since 1945! ;)

I'm pretty sure a BF-109 I recovered for an air show at Ramstein around 1986 had a DB engine in it. I have some pics at home, but positive it wasn't a Spanish made aircraft. I believe it was owned by the Messerschmitt company as the code letters on the fuselage read MBB or something. I'll have a look later and post it if it's allowed. Great pics BTW!

Randy

The ill-fated "Black 6" Bf-109 which was painstakingly restored at Duxford ground-looped on a test flight and never flew again! :( It was all original and sounded like this.... ( Mods: not US, I know, but relevant to the discussion) As far as I'm aware, despite the many thousands of Bf 109s which were made during WW2, only a handful survive and none are airworthy, which is why "Black 6" was such a loss! It's now been relegated to a static exhibit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQj1boxAbg

Found it. I know it was airworthy at the time (about 1986) because I parked him! Pretty sure it was an original one, if anyone has info please chime in (if allowed, that is). This was at the Ramstein airshow.

Randy

post-8832-0-80664400-1378943136.jpg