when was the last year HBT uniforms were made?

BOLO

from what I read, the last OD 107 HBT utility uniforms must have been made prior to 1962? before they changed to the First Pattern OD 107 cotton sateen utility uniforms.

first pattern OG-107 sateen utility uniform shirt

New Romantic

Bolo, if you can get a hold of Shelby Stanton's US Army uniforms of the Cold War that may answer your questions. I have Stanton's Korean War uniforms book and that mentions that the OG 107 Cotton Sateen Utilities were adopted by the Army in June 1952. However very few were issued before the Armistice in 1953.

I have a HBT jacket with plastic buttons dated 1951, minty so it shows the QM markings pretty good.

An early OG 107 sateen shirt with plastic buttons I have is from the early -mid 50's with QM markings printed below the neck but is too faded to read.

Hello,

Here is a pics of the HBT used by Special forces at the beginning of the Vietnam war. Supposed that the vet worn it in 62-63, the shirt's contract must be at least during the middle of 50s.

I wish I won this shirt,

Cheers

post-1523-1208637431.jpg

craig_pickrall

Unless these uniforms have good readable tags it is very hard to pin them to a specific period. There were many left overs from WW2 as well as what was produced post 1947 and there were a great deal of these on the private purchase market as well.

Here is a shirt and trousers from the 1947 pattern. They have been issued and named but it looks like they were never washed or worn. The shirt was made in AUG, 1949 and the trousers were made JAN, 1951.

They started using this US ARMY tape about 1953.

post-5-1208641020.jpg

post-5-1208641025.jpg

post-5-1208641030.jpg

post-5-1208641036.jpg

craig_pickrall

I checked Stanton's Cold War volume as Frankie suggested and got a few dates.

The US ARMY tape, black and gold, was authorized 27 OCT, 1953. The US ARMY and name tapes, subdued, became effective 14 JULY, 1966. There were locally made subdued versions before that but this is the offical date. Name tapes were authorized at unit level originally. Some units used their branch colors but the majority were white engineer tape with black lettering.

Stanton does not list when the last production of HBT uniforms were made. 1952 was the introduction of the cotton sateen uniforms. The USMC adopted their version about the same time. Usually you see 1953 as the first USMC production date. Stanton does state that both uniforms were intermixed into the 60's.

There were 3 pattern dates prior to and early Vietnam, 1952, 1963 and 1964.

Early ARMY and name tapes:

post-5-1208643531.jpg

post-5-1208643536.jpg

post-5-1208643541.jpg

this one is made of a Herringbone Twill [HBT] cotton material and has a 25th Inf div shoulder patch

looks just like a pattern 1947 HBT shirt

my geuss is this shirt is from the Korean war era, or possibly used during the early part of the Vietnam war.

Unless these uniforms have good readable tags it is very hard to pin them to a specific period. There were many left overs from WW2 as well as what was produced post 1947 and there were a great deal of these on the private purchase market as well.

Here is a shirt and trousers from the 1947 pattern. They have been issued and named but it looks like they were never washed or worn. The shirt was made in AUG, 1949 and the trousers were made JAN, 1951.

Here's a 1947 pattern shirt made in Dec. 1951: it also was never issued. At the same time I got the shirt I also got one or two pairs of HBT trousers that had also never been worn or washed.

hbt1223.jpg

hbt1223label.jpg