A Medic Helmet

Welshman

Hi

This is my my $9.35, helmet, liner and leather chinstrap $26.51, netting $6.24, helmet chinstrap $11.50, paint $11.00, cork already had. the stencils I made by using a DVD disk, to do the circle and masking tape, to do the cross. This will be my last one.

Welshman

post-123228-0-96584900-1378656634.jpg

post-123228-0-88192600-1378656658.jpg

You've had a productive couple of months Dave! All I would say is that you might consider "toning it down" a little as it's very bright and vibrant! This can be achieved in a number of ways such as rubbing it down with some fine wire-wool, applying some wet and dry paper to the rim to reveal the metal beneath (paint always wears off the rim!) and adding an all-over wash of a suitably "muddy" shade to create an "old" patina. ;)

Using a CD for a template?

(Why the hell didn't I think of that? Its not very easy to draw a circle on a curved surface.)

1. Much better on the cork. I'm not sure if you used less, or just improved your technique; but I like it.

2. Unless the screen is distorting the color, I think you nailed the red. Right shade & tone for "Geneva".

3. The OD base looks good too. The "glaze" is there, but not too much or not enough.

You've had a productive couple of months Dave! All I would say is that you might consider "toning it down" a little as it's very bright and vibrant! This can be achieved in a number of ways such as rubbing it down with some fine wire-wool, applying some wet and dry paper to the rim to reveal the metal beneath (paint always wears off the rim!) and adding an all-over wash of a suitably "muddy" shade to create an "old" patina. ;)

Yes I've done a couple now, been thinking about doing the weathering but thought, if I came to selling them, I could point out, yes it looks new, but wear it in all weathers, leave lying in the mud, and give it a few kicks, in another 70 years time, you never know, someone could be saying on ebay, barn find ;):D.

Using a CD for a template?

(Why the hell didn't I think of that? Its not very easy to draw a circle on a curved surface.)

1. Much better on the cork. I'm not sure if you used less, or just improved your technique; but I like it.

2. Unless the screen is distorting the color, I think you nailed the red. Right shade & tone for "Geneva".

3. The OD base looks good too. The "glaze" is there, but not too much or not enough.

(1) I came up with the CD, after I couldn't find my calliper.

(2) For the red, I used acrylic crimson, which was the first red colour I came across.

(3) I did try between corking and painting, using a heat gun, which did make the cork smoulder, but made no difference effect, but what I did do this time, which I did not do on the others, was to sandpaper down the cork, after the paint and cork had dried, this did make it look a lot better, I think the rougher you are after painting and corking, the better the final result, this is my last one though.