Road to Belloy! (4th ID living history group)

Kurt_E

Johan Willaert

comments are appreciated!

Since you're asking.... You're bunching... One grenade or burst of MG fire would have wiped out your squad(-)...

And where did your Sgt get a TSMG???

Since you're asking.... You're bunching... One grenade or burst of MG fire would have wiped out your squad(-)...

And where did your Sgt get a TSMG???

Thank you, Sir.

The last one is a staged photo a very close intervals indeed, just needed to picture most of crew together.

Could you tell what's wrong with a M1A1 in the hands of a squad leader? I now it's not by the book (manual) impression, but we're picturing late August of 1944. Still not correct?

Both Squad Leaders and Assistant Squad Leaders generally carried Rifles.

Also, you may have been better using a B.A.R., rather than an M1919. Here's a great reference image that shows the Squad formation and weapons carried (ignore the reference to the M1903):

oc_p03.gif

Regards,

Ben.

Johan Willaert

I know it's just nitpicking and he could have picked up a TSMG anywhere, but he's also carrying the matching equipment...

There still is a general idea out there that squad leaders carried SMGs while in reality they had M1 rifles...

Anyway no big deal and as long as you're enjoying yourselves...

This is all with the assumption that the intent was a Rifle Squad.

What's more plausable based on what I see is a MG Section from the Weapons Platoon, with some guys from the HQ element - with the SMG and 03A4 being drawn from the Company Weapons Pool.

Per the TO&E, there were 6 SMG's carried on the books, but not assigned to any position - for use as needed. Similarly wiith the 03A4, issued, but free to be allocated as the Company saw fit.

It looks like fun to me.

Guys- How many US reenactment units follow the MTOE? How many units actually had all MTOE equipment and personnel at any given time during the real war?

I think its just awesome that folks in the RUSSIAN FEDERATION managed to assemble a pretty good looking US WWII infantry squad....better than some I've seen in the good old USA where the web gear flows like wine and the paratroopers flock like the salmon of capistrano.

Well done guys, what kind of weapons do you use? Airsoft repro?

Guys- How many US reenactment units follow the MTOE? How many units actually had all MTOE equipment and personnel at any given time during the real war?

I think its just awesome that folks in the RUSSIAN FEDERATION managed to assemble a pretty good looking US WWII infantry squad....better than some I've seen in the good old USA where the web gear flows like wine and the paratroopers flock like the salmon of capistrano.

Well done guys, what kind of weapons do you use? Airsoft repro?

Thanks for these kind words, we're trying to do our best.

And yep, we're using airsoft since we've got pretty cruel gun ban here.

This is all with the assumption that the intent was a Rifle Squad.

What's more plausable based on what I see is a MG Section from the Weapons Platoon, with some guys from the HQ element - with the SMG and 03A4 being drawn from the Company Weapons Pool.

Per the TO&E, there were 6 SMG's carried on the books, but not assigned to any position - for use as needed. Similarly wiith the 03A4, issued, but free to be allocated as the Company saw fit.

It looks like fun to me.

You're right. We do portray a platoon (war-size platoon actually with 21 men total) with an attached MG section. We've got BARs too, the point of these report is not to show all stuff we've got.

Anyway, your comments about the TOE really made me rethink some points. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Good effort. But, you guys look like you just stepped out of the supply room. Uniforms all shiny and new. You need more dirt, more sweat, more grime, more tears and holes in the cloth, and you need to look more tired. Just my suggestion and meant to be constructive. Dogfaces had that name for a reason!

Also, port arms, not muzzles down. The 1940s army regs were that muzzles were up.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great to me.

A 1919 would work for Armor Infantry since they were not issued the BAR.

Different setups:

According to Crack and Thump after Operation Husky, the 39th Inf RGT adopted British Tactics so Squad leader to the front/point. Now the British Army armed their squad leaders with the sub machinegun. The author I don't recall ever stated they followed that practice. I think a 100 DIV talked about running into 9th DIV scouts and one of them had a M3 submachine gun.

I think the 91st (can't recall the book) the BAR was up at point.

The Handie-Talkie would be for patrols, but it would be the platoon leader who would of carried it. The U.S. Army still used wire for communications.

A platoon leader from the 103d DIV stated that is how you could tell a new unit because they would take the Handie-Talkie out. For him they didn't work well.

For rhe 1919 I forgot the unit, they have a Golden Acorn patch, but a MG gunner with them stated they operated with 20 round belt loaded (Cutting a length of cloth belt) in the machine gun.

Didn't notice and unit patches which is good. The U.S. Army did uniform exchanges. They would come in give their dirty uniforms to the quartermaster laundry unit in exchange for repaired and clean clothing the quartermaster units in the rear did.

These repaired/cleaned uniforms would lack patches.

Any of your guys do Red Army?

I would like to get some recordings of Red Army Infantry commands, and gear names said by a native speaker.

Thanks

simon

audacia cum prudentia

I think it's great that Guys from Russia re-enact WW2 U.S. you need to think about getting yourselves over to France and Belgium for the 2014, 70th anniversary event, we already have groups from Russia participating, international co-operation is what it's all about these days.

www.2ndarmoredineurope.co.uk

audacia cum prudentia

Good effort. But, you guys look like you just stepped out of the supply room. Uniforms all shiny and new. You need more dirt, more sweat, more grime, more tears and holes in the cloth, and you need to look more tired. Just my suggestion and meant to be constructive. Dogfaces had that name for a reason!

Also, port arms, not muzzles down. The 1940s army regs were that muzzles were up.

Nice to see more guys in Europe doing WW2 US re-enactment, you guys should think about getting your butts over to France and Belgium for the 70th anniversary in 2014, we already have groups from Russian participating

www.2ndarmoredineurope.co.uk

post-7941-0-13950600-1382787795.jpg

Nice to see more guys in Europe doing WW2 US re-enactment, you guys should think about getting your butts over to France and Belgium for the 70th anniversary in 2014, we already have groups from Russian participating

We're already in!