Calling All Giant Jack Knives

Big Al

Anybody that has one, please post a photo. Mine just came in the mail, yesterday. I got it thinking it would be a good replacement for my Buck 110 (the blade of which was broken by a carpenter :(). I had no idea just how MASSIVE this knife really is. Here are some photos of mine.

post-101332-0-05718500-1378599706.jpg

Thanks, guys. It still has grease tucked away in the nooks. This is now my favorite knife. I love the loud CLACK that it makes when it closes.

Here's mine; no where as nice as yours, but I've had it for years. Very solid but the markings are almost gone. It's not the Colonial but the United Cutlery? of Grand Rapids, MI (G.R. MICH is still visible)

ACSKnife.jpg

Its Jiant jackknife actually, this was how Colonial coined it in there documentation. The AAF did not use the term but the navy did but using the correct spelling of "Giant" on rare occasions. It's history is interesting originally developed by the AAF then refined by Colonial then over a year later adopted by the Navy with adding a clevis and sheath. For the AAF it was specifically designed for and only included in the C-1 vest replacing the 10" folding machete in essence. The C-1 vest was intended to be issued to every pilot and crew member on flight operations superseding the use of the earlier back and seat kits making the Jiant jackknife the replacement for the folding machete. This was also the same concept with the Navy. Basically what happened there was the back pad kit and pararaft were integrated but leaving no room for the V-44. The Jiant jackknife was adopted to replace it and carried on the individual as part of the compliment of Pilots Personal Equipment. All the jackknives pictured here so far are the AAF model.

Its Jiant jackknife actually, this was how Colonial coined it in there documentation. The AAF did not use the term but the navy did but using the correct spelling of "Giant" on rare occasions. It's history is interesting originally developed by the AAF then refined by Colonial then over a year later adopted by the Navy with adding a clevis and sheath. For the AAF it was specifically designed for and only included in the C-1 vest replacing the 10" folding machete in essence. The C-1 vest was intended to be issued to every pilot and crew member on flight operations superseding the use of the earlier back and seat kits making the Jiant jackknife the replacement for the folding machete. This was also the same concept with the Navy. Basically what happened there was the back pad kit and pararaft were integrated but leaving no room for the V-44. The Jiant jackknife was adopted to replace it and carried on the individual as part of the compliment of Pilots Personal Equipment. All the jackknives pictured here so far are the AAF model.

Thanks for the info, dustin. If anyone has a Navy model, those are welcome also.

Navy model. There are three primary variations of the USAAF model. Blade marked Colonial, blade marked United (United Machine & Tool Co.) and a unmarked version MFG. unkown. There are also two drawing numbers for these that went into production basically an early and a late. All the knives pictured are of the revised drawing number. The early drawing had a slightly different blade design and different formula for corrosion resistance, you can barely tell the difference.
post-56-0-84138600-1378772830.jpg

The first production of adopted design (top) and late (bottom). The early model was prone to corrode easily, throughout the production of the C-1 it was consistently reported that the knives were corroded even when they were unpacked from the factory and this can be noted on the tang thus the drawing change for new spec.'s and for some reason changed the blade slightly. notably the change in the tang and tapper width at tip, I do not know the terminology of that application...sorry!

I have only seen the Navy model with late production characteristics...maybe someone here can show the contrary?

post-56-0-16759500-1378773812.jpg

• 3 years later...

Navy model. There are three primary variations of the USAAF model. Blade marked Colonial, blade marked United (United Machine & Tool Co.) and a unmarked version MFG. unkown. There are also two drawing numbers for these that went into production basically an early and a late. All the knives pictured are of the revised drawing number. The early drawing had a slightly different blade design and different formula for corrosion resistance, you can barely tell the difference.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Does anyone know anything about the ones that are all chrome or nickel plated?

Taken apart and plated for civilian sales after the war?

Patchcollector

Now that's what I call a hoard :lol:

I've seen a postwar ad offering these for sale,can't remember if they were plated though.

• 1 year later...
Charlie Flick

Does anyone know anything about the ones that are all chrome or nickel plated?

Taken apart and plated for civilian sales after the war?

Mikedon:

Sorry, I must have missed this thread on the first go round. The Jiant Jack Knives (United went with the "Jumbo" name) were indeed sold on the civilian market post-war. I have seen both the darkened blades and the plated versions sold post-war.

The images below were in my archives. I can't remember where I got them from. I saved them long ago because I liked the United box which is shown. Regrettably, the blade is not mine.

Civilian Jiant jacknife by United..jpg

Civilian Jiant jacknife by United 2.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

Looks like Mr. Charlie beat me to the punch!

United Machine was late to the party in production of the of the giant jackknife. The commercial box claims 60,000 made for the AAF, they actually delivered significantly more than that. Colonial coined the knife as Jiant and here we see United coined it as Jumbo. As the box makes note, they market it for a range of potential uses clearly marketed for commercial sales.

post-56-0-07864400-1548525657_thumb.jpg