19th Infantry Regiment Vet War Trophy

trenchbuff

Went to see a gentleman this afternoon who had a Japanese Nambu type 14 for sale. Turned out he was an 88 year old 19th Infantry vet and had personally brought the pistol home with him. He was sharp as a tack and we had a nice visit. He participated in the Leyte invasion and was awarded a Bronze Star Medal for heroism. After reading the citation that came with the award, looked like it could have easily been a Silver Star to me. He obtained the pistol during occupation duty in Japan. It's a beauty complete with the holster, tools, spare clip and some ammo. Not often anymore do I get the pleasure to talk directly to the vet who brought an item home.

post-944-0-92370400-1378594414.jpg

post-944-0-57592400-1378594427.jpg

T

Thanks for posting, WW2 and Korean War Vets are quickly fading away. Great looking pistol and holster with some original rounds no less as well. It is good that you had a chance to talk with him. Time permitting you may want to interview him and get his story recorded for future generations. Possibly posting on the net and linking it to the veterans section on this site. Anyhow thanks for sharing.

John

• 2 weeks later...
USCapturephotos

Great find! The pieces that I have gotten from my vet friends, even the humble ones are some of my favorites. Agreed with the other members...you have to get a photo of the vet holding the pistol. Congratulations.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Simply awesome that you can enjoy the item while preserving the vet's memory every time you handle the gun or show someone the pistol.

-Brian