Case V-42 World War II Stiletto and Scabbard

ctyankee

These pictures are the ones I had on hand. If you want to see more pictures of the scabbard just let me know. The V-42 Stiletto was specially designed for use by members of the U.S.-Canadian First Special Service Force (FSSF). This unconventional commando unit, organized in 1942 and disbanded in December 1944, was known as FSSF, the "Devil's Brigade" or just "the Force.

caseinsheath_zps46e72029.jpg

case1_zps8b5445f5.jpg

Case6_zps264f031e.jpg

Case3_zps02f2d0aa.jpg

Case9_zps02cfaf5c.jpg

Case4_zps37552d70.jpg

Patchcollector

Excellent knife.Man that thing is good for only one thing and that's "taking care of business".I hope that it was used!

I think that I read somewhere that the point of these knives were frequently ground off because they would get stuck in the bone and it was sometimes difficult to retrieve the knife.

Patchcollector

I think that I read somewhere that the point of these knives were frequently ground off because they would get stuck in the bone and it was sometimes difficult to retrieve the knife.

Interesting.It is one wicked blade that was designed specifically for killing.

Good lookin V-42

But that sounds like something a seller would say when a tip was broke off ....It would take mass stabbings to realize that the tip sticks to the bone, to "frequently" modify they must have been sticking people on a daily basis. This goes in the category of the Japanese waiting for the PING of the Garand then attack scenario

Thanks Dustin,

I can't remember where I read that, but I think it was a kind of history of the knife. I've never even seen one with the tip ground down or even reshaped. I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't seen any.

The tips were on the delicate side and occasionally broke. I imagine the were throwing the in the ground, or trees, maybe playing mumbly-peg (sp) in the barracks. Stuff young soldiers do. SKIP

V-42 stiletto - Wikipedia

First issued in 1942, the V-42 was the standard issue fighting knife issued to the FSSF, whose members generally referred to it as the Force Knife or V-42 Stiletto. All members of the Force were trained extensively in its use, though only members of the Force's Combat Echelon were actually issued their own V-42 knife.[2] In combat, the V-42 proved itself an excellent thrusting weapon that could easily penetrate leather and heavy clothing, though its needle tip would occasionally stick when contacting bone after a deep thrust, making the knife difficult to withdraw.[1] It has been rumored that some Force members re-ground the points of their knives to alleviate this, though Col. Baldwin would later state that differences in the points of issue V-42 knives were due to variations in production, as they were hand-ground and largely hand-made.[1]

The pommel pin I can't be 100 % sure. If this is a pommel pin it's not very convincing.

casepommel_zps8186adcc.jpg

casepommel1_zpsf5c8872b.jpg

The blade is exactly 7 1/8 inches long and the handle is greater than 5 1/4 inches, with an overall length of about 12 3/8 inches. The knife weighs exactly 7 ounces.

V-42 stiletto specifications - Wikipedia

The V-42 weighs 7 ounces (0.20 kg), with either a 7.250-inch (18.42 cm) or 7.125-inch (18.10 cm) long blade and 5.5-inch (14 cm) handle, for a total length of approximately 12.5 inches (32 cm). Its features included a double hollow-ground, stiletto-type blade equipped with a thumb-imprint choil or ricasso designed to facilitate a flat or modified saber grip, and a leather handle with a pointed skull-cracking pommel (butt).[7] One source states that the Army placed five separate orders totaling 3,423 V-42 fighting knives from November 1942 through November 1943.[2] However, Case factory records indicate that approximately 3,000 V-42 knives were actually produced, and only one shipment of 1,750 knives to the FSSF was recorded by the Force's supply officer.[1]

I guess there's enough to make you wonder a little, but it's close.

sactroop,

If you're jealous now just wait until you see my Nichols and my Richtig. Those are couple of beauties!

Big Al, I inherited this collection. I'm just trying to sort through them to see what they are.

Gary

Big Al, I inherited this collection. I'm just trying to sort through them to see what they are.

Gary

You are truly one lucky duck! Thanks for sharing.

Good lookin V-42

But that sounds like something a seller would say when a tip was broke off ....It would take mass stabbings to realize that the tip sticks to the bone, to "frequently" modify they must have been sticking people on a daily basis. This goes in the category of the Japanese waiting for the PING of the Garand then attack scenario

I have spoken with a dozen or so veterans who were issued the knife,carried and used it.Two of these were area Force men and both were on the assault of La Defensia.

In the conversations the use of the knife would be spoken about.One of the local vets would un-sheath his V42 and state..."it has cut bone: I saw it had been re-tipped.I asked if he had done it.He said "No,my some had snapped the tip off after the war in the 50s prying open a desk drawer".His knife also had anothers name on the back of the scabbard.I asked if he had lost his original.He stated when they left Norway they were in instructed to turn in the knives on board ship.When they reached the US they opened the crates and passed them out.He recieved he one with anothers name.

One other that was shortened or re-tipped was done by the vet himself.He stated he done it to reduce the possibility of sticking himself by running the tip through the side of the scabbard(He had seen it done).