Devil patch, is it military?

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

I found this patch this morning mixed in with a bunch of Navy stuff from WWII and Korea at a garage sale. It was only a couple bucks so I figure I would take a shot. Any thoughts?

null_zpse0ff365c.jpg

I've seen a couple of different versions of this patch, but so far I have not been able to ID it. Did you ask the people running the garage sale? What kind of Navy stuff was with it? Any clues may help. Jeffro

BigDogMilitaria

I made a return trip to see if they dug anything else out. It was actually an estate sale, ran by a company. They didnt know anything of the military service.

There was a Navy Uniform with an Amphibious Forces patch (stripped other than the patch and they wanted $100 so i had to pass). The man served on the USS Chilton, and there was a large framed picture of the ship. And some stateside pics of men in their Navy whites, etc.

th_null_zpsa3b92f97.jpg

back of the patch, i did a black light test, nothing glows on the front or the back.

th_null_zpsc4f2921d.jpg

lastly, there was a small photo grouping of a Marine with a different last name. I picked that up. His name is Ted E Swarsk

null_zpsbbffac06.jpg

Hello:

It was interesting seeing your patch. I posted a photo of a patch that I have with the identical design. I found it with some naval sweetheart jewelry and a pair of naval air crew wings. Maybe we're starting to narrow down the search for an id. Attached is a picture of my patch.

post-4414-0-90302500-1378657706.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

That is interesting. Everything is pointing towards a Navy connection. I was afraid it was going to be sports related but now I'm feeling better about it. I'm hoping one of our experts will recognize it.

I've already exhausted all of my known reference material and websites. If you know of others I'd be glad to check them. As far as it being a sports patch my patch came out of an estate sale in Western PA.

I have a theory.

The patch you are showing looks like it is fairly recently produced.

The design looks identical to the wartime patch.

I am wondering if the one you have is a post war reunion patch? Very common to find such a thing among vet's estate items.

Don't get me wrong... I think that linked to every thing else you have from this person that it still has value.

The character reminds me of something from Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon comics from the 1940s which would fit the aviation connection possibly. Jeffro

Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon. I had some one look at mine and say from the way it was made it could even be pre wwII. As time goes by i am afraid the ID may be lost to history