WWI USS Drayton DD33 Battle Flag?

M60 Driver

I am very slowly getting ready to close up my surplus store and have started to go through some of the more obscure nooks and crannies and found this long lost forgotten item that I obtained years and years ago. The claim was that it is a battle flag off the USS Drayton, a WWI class destroyer. The flag is faded and has obvious condition issues. The provenance is simply what was written in relatively recent times on the paper bag it was stored within, the piece of banner made from material very similar to a flag attesting to come from the USS Drayton, and an old newspaper clipping glued onto some heavier stock paper showing the flag being displayed somewhere with the claim that the Drayton sank a submarine. I vaguelu remember being told that this flag was displayed at some other surplus store prior to finding its way to my surplus store. Not really sure whether I have something of minor historical significance or whether just to give the flag to the local VFW for display or proper disposal. Any thoughts?

post-779-0-61463300-1378423662.jpg

I wish it were the flag of the Drayton, but I think I count 46 stars on the actual flag, and the correct for the year 48 stars on the flag in the photo.

Regardless of what you find out, I wouldn't destroy it.

Being a "flag guy" ... I think you could find a collector that would happy to frame it up and display it. I know I would.

Tim

Couple things, there's no such thing as a "Battle Flag" in the US Navy. Traditionally, a ship going into battle will simply fly the largest ensign carried on board. Hard to say where that one really came from. The thingof main interest is the piece of the "Homeward Bound Pennamt" These pennants were made up by the crew (SM/QM) and signify the return home form an extended voyage. The exact measurements escape me now, but it is so many inches for each month deployed. It looks like a giant Commission Pennant. Upon return home, the pennant is cut up, with the officers each getting a star and the rest devided amung the crew. Very nice piece of Naval history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Drayton_(DD-23)

I wish it were the flag of the Drayton, but I think I count 46 stars on the actual flag, and the correct for the year 48 stars on the flag in the photo.

I concur with etousa...it is a different flag. If it were the same, I would LOVE to add it to my collection!

So my suspicions regarding the authenticity of the flag are well founded. I had done some due diligence, admittedly failing to count the stars on the flag, and never did find any reference to the Drayton sinking a submarine and I was always suspicious of the photo from "India's Desire" dated 1915, not to mention my suspicions regarding claims from any of my fellow surplus dealers on their store displays. But I gather that the penant piece may be authentic, at least period as it uses one of the correct terms for that period, "the world's war". If there is any interest in that piece let me know as it needs a good home.