ww2 USN cpo greys

Mr.B

Hi Everyone

I recently picked up this ww2 USN cpo greys on ebay. I know they were used for a short period of time. I just really liked the way these looked and when I saw it was a Specialty rate A I couldn't pass it up. It has a name in it but I know its not researchable since he wasn't on a boat.
Let me know what you all think

Thanks

Scott

post-128-0-51423000-1378419593.jpg

Didn't think they had grey jumpers.

Yup, gray dixie cups and flat hats too. part of the 1943/44 experiment. Somebody thought that the undress whites stood out on ships too much and that gray uniforms would be better camo. Not many of them were made and I think most ended up with shore patrol, base security, and coast guard shore units if i remember m history correctly.

-Jay

Hi Everyone

I recently picked up this ww2 USN cpo greys on ebay. I know they were used for a short period of time. I just really liked the way these looked and when I saw it was a Specialty rate A I couldn't pass it up. It has a name in it but I know its not researchable since he wasn't on a boat.

Let me know what you all think

Thanks

Scott

attachicon.gif ww2 us navy cpo greys.jpg

Still should be researchable. Won't be able to pull a ships muster roll for him, but ancestry has muster rolls for plenty of shore installations as well.

Be careful how excited you get about the grey jumpers, they exist but there is a question as to who was issued them. Some say Armed Guard. Also the grey was a practical color not a camo type thing it never trumped kahki with Officers. In all my years collecting I would say there is no such thing as a grey flat top what uniform would it have been worn with?

Yup, gray dixie cups and flat hats too. part of the 1943/44 experiment. Somebody thought that the undress whites stood out on ships too much and that gray uniforms would be better camo. Not many of them were made and I think most ended up with shore patrol, base security, and coast guard shore units if i remember m history correctly.

-Jay

When you say Flat Hat Sub, do you mean this type was made in Gray? this is a Flat Hat.

post-34986-0-09538800-1378444225.jpg

Or do you mean this type, the Garrison Cap? I think you mean this one correct?

post-34986-0-63498000-1378444235.jpg

Grey garrison caps were produced...I have one. Ditto grey visor hat covers (I have a spare!) Other Navy garrison caps were produced in navy blue, as above, khaki, white and forest green. I have examples of each one. The rarest/scarcest is the white one, worn by CPOs for a brief period only (made them look like soda-jerks!)

No, I know the difference between a garrison cap and a flat hat. I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has one on his torso with the gray jumper. I am going to have to stop buy and take some pics. It has been about a year since I have been in this guys house.

-Jay

Can't imagine a gray Flat Hat since that was actually a dress hat, and grays were a working uniform. Your friend may possibly have a gray combination hat cover, mistaking it for a flat hat. That is commonly done.

Be careful how excited you get about the grey jumpers, they exist but there is a question as to who was issued them. Some say Armed Guard. Also the grey was a practical color not a camo type thing it never trumped kahki with Officers. In all my years collecting I would say there is no such thing as a grey flat top what uniform would it have been worn with?

Writing my book, I've seen lots of photos of Armed Guard Sailors. Haven't seen any in grey jumpers...and rarely ever in jumpers at all. I will keep an eye peeled though as I visit more families and see more photos.