Keep looking, they're still out there!

jgawne

• 1 month later...

Interesting. It's my understanding the tank shown below was found in the woods at McClellan when it was closed. It would be nice if they could restore these vehicles.

post-78-0-41961200-1381245738.jpg

• 1 month later...

Are those the same vehical? Or did they find two different ones? The rust and paint seem different.

I guess a couple Stuarts were left out in the southern States. A similiar story happenned in MS a few years ago. They found a rare M2 AFTER they sold the land (and tank) back to the orginal owner

http://preservedtanks.com/Locations.aspx?LocationCategoryId=74100

• 2 weeks later...

The one at McClellen would not be surprising. I was there twice in the last five years or so, on the old post, and both times had a chance to talk to contractors who were in large tracts of woods - former impact areas - which they were clearing of old ordnance, the contractors were EOD types, the areas they were clearing were right along heavily traveled civilian used roads. As I chatted with one of the contractors he mentioned that some of the ordnance they were clearing dated back to the WW1 era.

Who knows what lurks in the off-the-beaten-path forgotten pucker brush on some of those old posts around the country! I guess if one is brave enough to chance encounters with unexplored ordnance and the occasional copperhead and rattler, I bet there is some interesting stuff out there yet.