Little Beaver Typhoon Survivor USN

Wharfmaster

This is the story of a sailor that survived the sinking of his vessel in typhoon Cobra.

NJ Joined the US Navy in Feb. 1941. In May he transferred to the Battleship USS Texas, operating in the Atlantic. On the 9th of March 1943 NJ became a tin can sailor.

He joined the brand new Destroyer USS Spence as a Gunners Mate 2nd Class.

Not long after, Spence sailed for the Pacific, becoming a member of Arleigh Burke's "Little Beavers" Destroyer Squadron 23. The Spence saw more than her share of action against Japanese forces, to include the classic destroyer attack at Cape St. George. USS Spence received 8 battle stars for service in WW2.

During the bombardment of Kavieng, New Ireland a gun misfired. NJ evacuated the turret of personnel and opened the breech at great risk of his life to remove the powder case, putting the gun back in action. He was awarded a well earned Bronze Star.

In late 1944 off the Philippines, the USS Spence was caught in the great typhoon. She rolled 72 degrees in 120 knot winds and sank with the loss of 19 Officers and 296 men. Only 1 Officer and 23 men survived. NJ was one of them.

W

post-525-0-57484600-1378273275.jpg

I have always wondered about the engraved USN GCM from the era of the old "bar mounting" mounted on a suspension ring, do you think the medal was remounted later on a different drape? I don't think the way it is pictured is original. Just y 2 pennies worth.

That being said I would be proud to own this group.

I have always wondered about the engraved USN GCM from the era of the old "bar mounting" mounted on a suspension ring, do you think the medal was remounted later on a different drape? I don't think the way it is pictured is original. Just y 2 pennies worth.

That being said I would be proud to own this group.

Not too unusual to find Navy GCMs ring mounted to match the other medals. I have a few groups mounted such as this in my collection. No doubt, new ribbons were used when the medals were mounted.

Thanks and regards,

W

W, An uncommon group and history behind his ship and the combat bronze star, thanks for posting.

Thanks AB, most appreciated.

Regards,

W

• 6 years later...

Thanks for posting, Wharf. Lest we forget, Halsey's "error in judgment" (the Court of Inquiry's finding) by sailing the 3rd Fleet into the heart of the typhoon cost nearly 800 men their lives.

Thanks for posting, Wharf. Lest we forget, Halsey's "error in judgment" (the Court of Inquiry's finding) by sailing the 3rd Fleet into the heart of the typhoon cost nearly 800 men their lives.

Thanks AB. Yes, a very sad event for the Fleet. So many lives lost. We remember.

Wharf

• 3 months later...
Kurt Barickman

That is a great USN medal group. Being a former Gunner´s Mate, what the sailor did was during what we call a ¨hot gun¨ meaning so many rounds had been fired that the barrel was so hot that if there was a misfire, the round and powder could ¨cook off¨ and making a very dangerous mess. Very heroic act on his part and we did drills for it every gun shoot and luckily never had to do it. Thanks for sharing.,

Kurt