Too much for A-2 troop carrier jacket?

24th_infantry

24th_infantry

I found an A-2 for sale and this time I don't want to pass up on it. After doing the research the guy lived only a few miles away from me. The jacket is in great condition with the usual wear but the leather is still supple. It has the troop carrier patch and leather name tag sewn. The woman wants $950 but I'm trying to see if she'll go down a little. Is this a reasonable price or just the usual going rate? I have no A-2s in my collection and would love to have one. Thanks for the time and help!

il_570xN495885300_2q9v_zpsd09d1c38.jpg

il_570xN495943727_rd3h_zps829f2a84.jpg

il_570xN495885396_6dv2_zps1678899c.jpg

That size coupled with the troop carrier patch, especially if research shows the named owner was affiliated, I think $900.00 personally is a great deal. Maybe it is just me, but the jacket looks solid and I have seen un-named u- patched and un-painted jackets in this size and condition selling for more. Cant remember the last time I saw a troop carrier jacket. Just my 2 cents. Kevin

If the cuffs and waist knits are original, the snaps are good and the zipper works (and is not a replacement), then the asking price is good. I would go for it especially if it fits you.

Good luck!

doinworkinvans

With provenance of the troop carrier patch and name I would GLADLY pay the $900. Do your research first though and see what it turns up for him. If true, I would be all over it!

I cannot comment on price nor am I an expert on A-2's but for fun and if I were in your shoes I will say it looks good. There is honest wear all over the jacket that feels right when viewing this thing. There is a nice sweat/grunge ring along the collar, I like leather name tag having a slight defect on the left where it has slightly rolled. the stenciling with name and serial number has bled from sweat. nice verdigris on the hooks of the color showing age. This jacket was worn not abused. From what I have learned in the mine field and booby traps of patches this insignia looks right as rain has just enough soiling and wear....there is legitimate age to it. There seems to be good wear on the lower sleeves these would take a lot of abuse. My opinion 100% legit!

so I shall wait to let the more knowledgeable chime in to either shoot me down or agree.

I have no A-2s in my collection and would love to have one.

She just said she'd lower the price to $875

To me you answered your own question........... ;):)

Just buy it.You cant go wrong.If you had to own one and one only I wouldnt pass it up. B)

Looks to be a nice, honest jacket in great condition. With all of the factors going for it, the price is pretty fair...especially now.

If/when you get it, please post some additional shots of it...looks like a real "looker" and one that would display very nicely.

Philip

Don't hesitate on this just buy it,i have a similar jacket in my collection with the 1TCS patch and paid about the same for it about ten years ago.A standard Aero Leather A2 will be worth what she is asking for it.You have the added help of having his army number should be easy to research..Go for it....517th

24th_infantry

Just picked it up last night. Fits great with some extra room. There is one small rip in the lower right sleave but not noticeable and a period repair to a small rip near it. Again the repair is small and hardly noticeable. On the shoulder is the ghost image of sewn-on lieutenant bars. I'm not going to restore it with vintage lieutentant bars, rather just leave as is. I looked at postings on taking care of leather and I'm not going to add anything to the leather. It's supple as is and I'm afraid adding any leather oil will ruin it. Any comments appreciated!

24th_infantry

You say it fit you well. Are you planning to actually wear it?! (Personally, I'd just preserve it as an historic artefact)

No I don't intend on wearing the jacket. However, I had to at least put it on once. I might not be the smartest person but I do know that if I did wear this jacket constantly it wouldn't be around long at all. My intentions are to preserve this and keep it around as long as possible.

I would advise not oiling or doing any treatment to the leather if it is not necessary. It can often do more damage than good as well as darken the leather and destroy the patina of the old leather. If it is still supple enough just leave it to enjoy and display.

Just me 2 cents...

24th_infantry

I would advise not oiling or doing any treatment to the leather if it is not necessary. It can often do more damage than good as well as darken the leather and destroy the patina of the old leather. If it is still supple enough just leave it to enjoy and display.

Just me 2 cents...

I fully agree with you. I refuse to put any treatments. I was thinking of keeping it on a mannequin but I wasn't sure it that was a good idea or not. It would permanently stay on the torso.