Firing my 155mm Howitzer

Cannoncocker155mm

Cannoncocker155mm

Hi All,
I thought I would share a few photos of my US 155mm Howitzer being blank fired at a Military show here in England. I hope you enjoy the pictures icon_biggrin.gif

fcf32562-224a-4c84-be45-f0c059977127_zps

96c0ee3c-6e2c-45e2-b477-e9dcec552492_zps

5ebf799f-04a9-4f5a-903b-cb292269003b_zps

Cannoncocker155mm

Looks great Stuart!. I still have those crates etc for you here and I'll be at Malvern in November if you're going?.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

Yes i'll be there, I'll contact you soon regarding collection.

Glad you like the pictures :D

I had no idea guns like this were out there and in England no less! Please post a video on youtube!

You'd be surprised at what we have "over here"! ;)

Cannoncocker155mm
:D

I had no idea guns like this were out there and in England no less! Please post a video on youtube!

Yes we are well protected in my corner of little England, a mate of mine has a Priest, Hetzer and 155mm long tom about 9 miles from me, there is also a British 25pdr, 40mm Bofors and a polsten Anti Aircraft gun all within 10 miles of me in the other direction. So we cant have hand guns but we can own the big stuff :D

I'm waiting for a friend of mine to upload some video clips, will let you know as soon as he does

Thanks for the interest

Outstanding! Did you set the grass on fire? Its required here in the states to start a grass fire when firing cannon. Insteresting laws your country has. Can't own a functional M1 Garand but its ok to have a modern cannon.

Cannoncocker155mm

Outstanding! Did you set the grass on fire? Its required here in the states to start a grass fire when firing cannon. Insteresting laws your country has. Can't own a functional M1 Garand but its ok to have a modern cannon.

The Grass was ok this time, might not be so lucky next time though :D Yes thats it, cant own a live M1 Garand but can own a live Howitzer

Cannoncocker155mm

What kind of restrictions do you have on the cannon? Good chamber / demilled barrel? Chamber has to be modified?

Howitzer is untouched and exactly the same as the day it was made, no mods at all

Well, that is one on us. A cannon like that would be considered a destructive device and fired like you are would earn you as much prison time as if you had a M1 Garand at Piccadilly Circus conducting manual of arms drills. Hats off to ya!

As a matter of interest, do you tow it behind a prime-mover or put it on a low-loader and cover it with a tarp? Do the boys in blue ever get "curious"?!

Cannoncocker155mm

Well, that is one on us. A cannon like that would be considered a destructive device and fired like you are would earn you as much prison time as if you had a M1 Garand at Piccadilly Circus conducting manual of arms drills. Hats off to ya!

That's the joys of the Laws in England :D

Cannoncocker155mm

Awesome piece-would love to see a video. How big is your "normal" powder charge? Many thanks for sharing

The Civil war re-enactors use between 10 - 20 grams of Black powder per shot in their cannons, I'm using between 1.5Kg - 2 Kg (3 lb - 4lb) per shot, a big difference but its worth it.

Cannoncocker155mm

As a matter of interest, do you tow it behind a prime-mover or put it on a low-loader and cover it with a tarp? Do the boys in blue ever get "curious"?!

Hi,

I tow it around with this, gets a bit interesting driving it around some of the small roads.

M542.jpg

Never had any trouble with the police, lots of looking and then they just drive off. They may treat me different if I head into the heart of London with it???