3rd Award Combat Infantryman's Badge Ceremony RVN.

patches

From a C.B. Colby book. The RVN, General Paul D Harkins MACV CO, awards the 3rd Award of the CIB to an unfortunetely unknown Green Beret Non Com, photo I gather taken sometime between February 1962 and June 1964 ( Westmoreland takes over MACV, June 64) Any one know who this NCO might be?

post-34986-0-26164800-1378092206.jpg

I have seen this picture before.It's in one of my early books on Vietnam.I will see if I can dig it out.I am almost positive it names the soldier.I want to say he is a MSG or SGT MAJ.

SGM James O'Schmidt or SGM Charles R. Ferguson ? Both NCOs received the 3rd award in 1963, RVN.

Nope! It's SGM Hugh Talley...I picked up pine cones with him on Smoke Bomb Hill. He was a MSG at the time of the award (CIB 3rd Award).

Nope! It's SGM Hugh Talley...I picked up pine cones with him on Smoke Bomb Hill. He was a MSG at the time of the award (CIB 3rd Award).

Was that when you were both Privates or Privates First Class :lol: or where you a Private or Private First Class, an Talley was your Platoon Sergeant in charge of the detail? Smoke Bomb Hill, that's an area of Ft Bragg, correct?

Amazing what you can learn on the web!

Henry Chang ©Stars and Stripes
Saigon, South Vietnam, February, 1963: Master Sgt. Wylie Johnson of Columbus, Ga., left, and Master Sgt. Hugh H. Talley of Cleveland, Tenn., both serving with the U.S. Military Assistance Advisory Group, pose after receiving their third Combat Infantryman's Badges from Gen. Paul D. Harkins at the MAAG compound in Saigon. They were the first U.S.service members to earn the CIB in Vietnam after also having done so in World War II and the Korean conflict.

1182249895.jpg

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/archive-photo-of-the-day/archive-photo-of-the-day-1.9717/cited-for-service-in-three-wars-1963-1.155306

Or on usmilitaria.com!

Hugh Talley's original CIB 3rd Award!

post-2876-1310786582.jpg

See post #819.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/379-the-combat-infantryman-badge/page-41

Was that when you were both Privates or Privates First Class :lol: or where you a Private or Private First Class, an Talley was your Platoon Sergeant in charge of the detail? Smoke Bomb Hill, that's an area of Ft Bragg, correct?

SBH was the original (wooden bldgs) SF area at Bragg. Talley was a SGM in 7th Grp at the time. I don't recall (it's been almost 50 years!) if he was a B-team SGM or Company SGM at the time.

Great find an addition to this topic e19, the photo of Talley with Wylie Johnson is superb. In fact in the Colby book photo I posted, Johnson looks like he to Talley's right in the ranks.

I only see one star on that CIB. And is doesn't look like he had both WWII and Korean War ribbons. Danny

Wearing of ribbons was optional...I have a pic of SGM Talley in Class A's in which he was only wearing the CIB 3rd Awd, and his Master jump wings....which was not uncommon back the day!

• 2 weeks later...

There was quite a bunch of WW2 vets running about SF in those days and even later.

Some did WW2 on the other team.

Former Luftwaffe flak gunner on my team in 1968.

Original manifest SF.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very neat article!!!! I recently found an original Third Award Combat Infantryman badge that I picked up. It was grouped with another couple set of medals that the seller was selling individually. I tried to get all of it that I could. I wish I could do some research and try to figure out who it belonged to. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard considering that there were only a little over 300 men who received it. Anyway here are some pictures of the Third Award CIB....

post-156428-0-55941400-1424313995.jpg

post-156428-0-74155700-1424313994.jpg

and the link the my thread on it. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/228802-triple-award-combat-infantryman-badge/

Thaddeus