Waited 34 years for a "Junk Room"

17thairborne

WIth regards to the M9 vs the M9A1; do you have any information as to what makes the models different. I have yet to purchase a TM on the bazooka. Mine is CB model, one of the lower number manufactured (Chaney-Bigelow). I think most were GE, yes?

Here's a few more nice things from the junk room:

garandcarbine.jpg

The knucks came from the John F. Petrel (139th AEB) grouping. The M1918 knife is an ebay purchase of long ago, 1998 I think.

Johan Willaert

WIth regards to the M9 vs the M9A1; do you have any information as to what makes the models different. I have yet to purchase a TM on the bazooka. Mine is CB model, one of the lower number manufactured (Chaney-Bigelow). I think most were GE, yes?

I believe the difference is in the coupling socket of both tubes... The coupling lock on the M9 seemed to be prone to breaking and was reinforced/changed on the M9A1.

I have seen three kinds of numbers and markings on original M9(A1)s

Numbers below the 100k mark with just a - in front of the number (Mfr????)

Numbers preceded by CB (like yours)

Numbers above GE for General Electric made ones

Thanks for the compliments on the WLA site!!

Johan

Johan,

Thanks for that information on the M9. Somewhere in this mess I have a copy of Canfield's Infantry weapons book. I think he describes it there. I did not know about the "-" mark.

L.T.

See you're affilitated with the 11th...BLACKHORSE!! Allons! and all that sort of thing. I served w/ them 84-87...Germany.

PS: If I call it junk it helps to keep a low profile :-) or if you prefer the more refined version; junqué!

!

Johan Willaert

From TM9-294 Change 1 dated 2 June 1944, Page 2, §2

NOTE (Added): The M9A1 Launcher corresponds exactly with the M9, with the exception of a difference in the barrel coupling.

As for the different sights, the manual says:

The Launcher is issued with a horizontal folding bar sight or an alternate optical ring sightin some instances.

Does this suggest both sight were mounted simultaneously??? Maybe Mfr related???

This is part of the Charles Wilhelm Grouping. The cigarette case has a very nice engraving of a parachutist holding the chute at bay in the wind! I wish we knew where the sportsman pistol and shoulder hoster that are listed on the Capture Cirtificate are! Some lucky person owns those and I know not who.

WIlhelmRiker.jpg

Tom,

Thanks for the comments!! You are right...adding crates is a great way to fill the display and provide more interest. It's a cheap way ($25-$100) to add a lot of interest to a display. That's the thing about the Diekirch museum that is so fascinating.

Johan,

Thanks for adding your m9 photos. I almost forgot about obliterating SNs. I just went back and did that!! Nice to hear what the TM says about the sights. Mine came without, and I assumed at first I needed the bar sight, but only found the optical. Came in a mint NOS box (still looking for that)

I love Airborne and Glider engineer garrison caps. Here are the ones from my collection. I especially like the red para/glider done in gold bullion with the engineer whip cord sewn around the patch. Still looking for more!! :)

oz

garrisoncaps.jpg

I don't know when the M9A1 started to be produced with the optical sight but a lot of the M9(A1) models that were initially made with the tangens site were modified with the optical sight later on...

I don't know if it would be possible to revert the action and mount an original tangens site on the existing mounting points...

For reference here are some pictures of an original sight on an M9A1 in the 68k range...

I can confirm, the original tangens sight can be installed on the existing mounting points. Several parts, like the screws are even interchangeble.

Regards,

Stijn

Bob,

Good eye! Its good to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you and the family. That is the guidon of the HQ/139 AEB/ I was fortunate to obtain that and an entire grouping from the BN Co. Lt Col Stanley T.B. Johnson. I'll post a few images soon.

PS..still eyeballin your 139th stuff!!! :rolleyes:

oz

Oh I remember when it surfaced, dealing with the seller was like nailing jello to a tree - I was told that the museum at West Point wanted it , I guess there must have been an incredible offer from somewhere.

Well....yes there was :unsure: I hated to see the stuff split up! I cannot believe te family did not want the family picture album. i have been trying to locate someone in the family to get it back to them freeof charge, but do you know how hard it is to find someone with the last name of Johnson in the US? I'll devote a post and blog to that effort soon. I have no use for the album, I think it belongs with an heir.

Oz thats a great looking collection there my old friend.....hope you are doing well

regards

Lloyd (Ex "tub" owner like your good self....;-) )

Lloyd,

Good to hear from you. Yes the "tub" is getting a full ground up restoration. Sounds nice. I have a WLA that I received in trade along with cash, so I look forward to getting that rolling again after some minor work. How is life?

oz