Waited 34 years for a "Junk Room"

17thairborne

Wow, very impressive! I espically like all the ration related items! Can you post a photo of the Tomato Juice, and Beer ration box, I have never seen any of these before?

With regards to the Tomato Can, the Army QM Historical Site: http://www.qmfound.com/army_rations_historical_background.htm#The%205-in-1%20Ration has some basic information about rations and several images. There is also a reprint of a QM study on rations that contains several other images of ww2 rations. It is interesting that many of the ration items in the 5 in 1 and 10 in 1 rations were off the shelf contact purchased and looked identical to those in Kroger's shelves and other supermarket stores. The tomato can is simply that: a civilian labeled can from the era as used in those rations. THe examples of original rations that I have seen vary from OD military labeled cans to off the shelf civilian goods.

tomato1.JPG

tomato2.JPG

The beer ration box is from the occupation era Oct '45. The green/black corner marks are, I believe. code for perishable items, or items that had to be stored within certain temperature ranges to prevent freezing or too much heat (I am not 100% sure on those specs, still researching). I have seen several crates/boxes of items such as toothpaste and shaving cream that were also marked on the corners with the green/black bands. These were all 44 dated crates.

beer1.JPG

beer2.JPG

beer3.JPG

beer4.JPG

Finally, as requested, images of the 17th A/B SSI. I need to resurrect the thread I started on 17th patches. My former host: Webshits (I mean webshots) moved/dumped all the stuff. For now here is the link to my blog that etails the various 17th SSIs: http://castraponere.com/bloodonthetalon/289/

17patches.JPG

Forgot to address the rugs: During the time of the Russian Occupation of Afghanistan, the Moojahadien (aka AQ, misspelled on purpose) made and sold these things by the hundreds to fund their war effort. Many were brought back by Gulf-war veteran's as souveniers. This continued even though OE/OIF where they could be purchased in bazaars near US bases in AFG/IQ. Don't care to include specifics on these two or delve any further to stir contoversy or anything else. Best to leave it at that.

As a fellow collector of ration, PX, paratrooper and demolition-related items/smalls, it's always a joy when forum members share photos of their collection with the same area of focus as myself!

You make a great point about commercial, off-the-shelf food items used within the various ration assortments. As a result, I often find that while it may open you up to a greater variety of collectors and competition (in terms of Ebay auctions), prices tend to be a bit lower without that "WWII" title attached to the auction title or description. This can also be the case with personal and hygiene items as well.

Your patience has paid off with such an amazing collection and I only hope to have my gear out and on display within the next 34 years! ^_^

Jamie,

Thanks...the search for the "vintage rations" in other than ww2 forums/sites yields a larger amount of potential adds to the collection. I find that cans, candy, gum, toiletries items can be found with a wider search lens.

Here are a few images of the service/ike jackets. The photos aren't great, but over time I'll get more detailed.

John F. Petrel was a squad leader in the 139th. Petrel served with the 139th for the duration, and along with others of the unit was transferred to teh 307th after VE day. I have a huge grouping that I was fortunate to come by. Over time I'll add some more images, incluing photos, paperwork, awards and certificates. Quite a group..I am fortunate.

Petrel.JPG

Next is Lt Robert C. Reed. He was a platoon leader in the 139th and awarded the Silver Star for his defensive actions in the town of Rennaumont, Belgium on 4-5 Jan 45. He was twice wounded, first time in Lux, second time I'm still researching. He was pulled from a minefield by another Silver Star winner, Warren Skenadore, the platoon medic. Interesting the wings have been sewn on around the inside openings where the wings and chute touch. Inside the pocket I found a copy of the red 139th AEB history with numerous signature of his platoon members.

Reed.JPG

This is a very nice service coat named to Donald R. Kress. Don't have any info on him, only that he was assigned to the 139th AEB. It's a very straight forward jacket with PB glider wings.

Kress.JPG

Next ike belonges to Charles B. Wilhelm. He was an Asst SL in the 139th. I have a small grouping from him with some photos, capture papers, letters home and a silver engraved para cigarette case.

Wilhelm.JPG

Final ike belonged to "W.J." There are only 2 W.J's listed in the roster for the 139th AEB. i can only conclude by the 'forensics", quality of jacket, and patches that this was original to one of the two W.J's in the 139th. One is William J. Jones and the other William B. Jackson. I have my work cut out for me on this one. Of note is the nice "Blood on the Talon" added thread to the SSI, the clipped jump wings and the hand made red oval with para-cord white accent threading hand zig-zag stitched onto the jacket.

JW.JPG

Johan,

It's one of my favorites also. It has the optical sight. I cannot find the other type anywhere. The optical sights are available NOS in the box on occasion.

Sabrejet,

Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll get more done over the coming weeks, but for now it's back to finishing the landscaping and stonework!

oz

As requested, more ration images. The manner of display came to me following a visit to the military museum at Diekirch in LUX. Literally every display case and diorama (life size) is chock full o' stuff, stacked from the floor to the top of the case. Each display had gobs of the paraphernalia of daily combat life; boxes, crates, discarded stuff, personal items, disheveled uniforms, oh and one of everything. You gotta see that museum if ever you visit Europe!

Ration1.JPG

Ration2.JPG

Ration3.JPG

Ration4.JPG

Ration5.JPG

Ration6.JPG

Thanks so much for posting the pictures, Oz. These close-ups really illustrate the extra (and outstanding) work you have put into the ration collection!

Johan Willaert

Johan,

It's one of my favorites also. It has the optical sight. I cannot find the other type anywhere. The optical sights are available NOS in the box on occasion.

I don't know when the M9A1 started to be produced with the optical sight but a lot of the M9(A1) models that were initially made with the tangens site were modified with the optical sight later on...

I don't know if it would be possible to revert the action and mount an original tangens site on the existing mounting points...

For reference here are some pictures of an original sight on an M9A1 in the 68k range...

post-92-0-25475500-1378283510.jpg

post-92-0-03745500-1378283517.jpg

Johan Willaert

Next is Lt Robert C. Reed. He was a platoon leader in the 139th and awarded the Silver Star for his defensive actions in the town of Rennaumont, Belgium on 4-5 Jan 45.

I think that would be Renuamont, situated roughly 5Km NW from Bastogne... No big deal but correct spelling may help finding more info...

Cheers,

Johan

Johan,

Thanks. I was too lazy to look it up on the map. I have them somewhere in a folder. It is very nice of you to keep us honest :-) By the way...I have a WLA that will need some work. Hope to get it running soon. Like you WLA site!

oz