Waited 34 years for a "Junk Room"

17thairborne

Gents thanks :) I am close to being done with this project and can get back to writing. The stucco is lightly weathered, although it could use another shade of dark brown. I will get the shutters soon, weather them, add some 9mm holes and hang them. Then the back drop is finished. I've added the two figures. I have everything I need for the airborne engineer, but still need low quarter shoes for the surrendering flak troop. I have all the insignia for the fliegerbluse, just need to sew them on with original thread for a nice restoration.

I have to reconfigure the engineer's arm so he can hold the pistol grip of the STEN, then I have to do the phosphate coating and British black paint for the gun.

This has been my vision for the junk room for several years now. The incessant moving with the military has prevented doing something permanent like this. I think I would really enjoy working in a military museum, if they gave me more of a free reign with the displays and a modest budget for dioramas. The backdrop construction did not cost all that much.

post-15065-0-71981300-1416347742.jpg

Gents thanks :) I am close to being done with this project and can get back to writing. The stucco is lightly weathered, although it could use another shade of dark brown. I will get the shutters soon, weather them, add some 9mm holes and hang them. Then the back drop is finished. I've added the two figures. I have everything I need for the airborne engineer, but still need low quarter shoes for the surrendering flak troop. I have all the insignia for the fliegerbluse, just need to sew them on with original thread for a nice restoration.

I have to reconfigure the engineer's arm so he can hold the pistol grip of the STEN, then I have to do the phosphate coating and British black paint for the gun.

This has been my vision for the junk room for several years now. The incessant moving with the military has prevented doing something permanent like this. I think I would really enjoy working in a military museum, if they gave me more of a free reign with the displays and a modest budget for dioramas. The backdrop construction did not cost all that much.

attachicon.gifIMG_0868.JPG

hey i personally like the armless mannequin lol but seriously VERY nice!

Very inspiring work, Oz, and one of the most enjoyable member displays I've had the pleasure of watching evolve over the past couple of years.

I know you've got of bit of finishing work to do, but even as-is, you've clearly achieved your goal of rivaling some of those fantastic French and Belgium WWII displays! :)

I finished the shutters today. Hobby lobby metal/wood framework for less than $40 for two and two pieces of thin veneer screwed onto the back. They are even nicely weathered to boot. Total project cost under $140. Done with the backdrop now. Not sure I like the color though. Might repaint them.

post-15065-0-77155700-1416776069.jpg

I finished the shutters today. Hobby lobby metal/wood framework for less than $40 for two and two pieces of thin veneer screwed onto the back. They are even nicely weathered to boot. Total project cost under $140. Done with the backdrop now. Not sure I like the color though. Might repaint them.

attachicon.gifIMG_0930.JPG

if i ever get my dream museum... im totally gonna hire you

Jake,

I'll work for Dr. Pepper also! :rolleyes:

Johan,

Thanks. Yes Philippe sent me a review with the demolition equipment and bazooka layouts. I think I will work on a layout for 17th Airborne uniforms worn while at Camp Mackall and that should be the third and final part. I am laying out Volume II of Blood on the Talon, and there is so much material for insignia that it could make for a few more articles for Militaria if Philippe is interested. Here are four pages from Volume II. This book will cover all of the insignia, equipment and uniforms of the 139th Airborne Engineer Battalion.

These have not gone through the editor for spelling and layout yet. I have at least a year of work remaining to get this book finished.

They are ROUGH DRAFT pages, but provide an idea of how the book will be laid out.

p13.jpg

p27.jpg

p54.jpg

p58.jpg

By the way...what is in your dream museum?

mainly military history :o american military history but with each war having all sides represented... and maybe a bit of other stuff just to show how people lived back in the early 1900's to around 1985 :o

attachicon.gifIMG_0930.JPG

arrrrgh....... it's that damn 139th guidon again ! Curses Mr. Gorbitz ! BTW, did you get my email a while back concerning 139th/596th items you were asking about ?

Jake,

I'll work for Dr. Pepper also! :rolleyes:

Johan,

Thanks. Yes Philippe sent me a review with the demolition equipment and bazooka layouts. I think I will work on a layout for 17th Airborne uniforms worn while at Camp Mackall and that should be the third and final part. I am laying out Volume II of Blood on the Talon, and there is so much material for insignia that it could make for a few more articles for Militaria if Philippe is interested. Here are four pages from Volume II. This book will cover all of the insignia, equipment and uniforms of the 139th Airborne Engineer Battalion.

These have not gone through the editor for spelling and layout yet. I have at least a year of work remaining to get this book finished.

They are ROUGH DRAFT pages, but provide an idea of how the book will be laid out.

p13.jpg

p27.jpg

p54.jpg

p58.jpg

Great attention to detail. Is this your book or an article in the Militaria magazine? Outstanding display BTW

-Dave

mainly military history :o american military history but with each war having all sides represented... and maybe a bit of other stuff just to show how people lived back in the early 1900's to around 1985 :o

Will love to see some of what you are collecting. It took me 25 years to go back to school on US military history, focusing on ETO. You got to admire some of those old folks from 1985 eh ;)

Thanks for posting!

arrrrgh....... it's that damn 139th guidon again ! Curses Mr. Gorbitz ! BTW, did you get my email a while back concerning 139th/596th items you were asking about ?

:unsure:

Its hard to hide! Yes I did get that message and the files and I sent you an email with my phone number. I know you will like this image :(

Guidon.jpg

Dave,

Those are images from the book Volume II. I am trying to go into more detail on the little things. The Chapter on 17th SSI is almost 20 pages with close ups of the minute differences in the 17th SSI. Same with the cap patches. WIngs have been covered very nicely in other works, and I cannot hope to provide so many different examples. Heroes in our Midst is a great reference for wings, and there are probably some other good books on the subject.

My hope is to dive in real deep on engineer equipment and the uniforms and smalls that would have been used by the 139th.