Waited 34 years for a "Junk Room"

17thairborne

Here is the reconfigured arm. It was hanging straight down before.This one has been moved out away form the body to hold the cig carton and the elbow bent up about half way. Just as others have mentioned on different threads, arms that hang straight down don't give you many display options. This way I can change the display with a variety of items.The options are endless!

I'll post some "how I did it" images later this week when I reconfigure another arm on a different display.

post-15065-0-40308100-1414949271.jpg

Here is the reconfigured arm. It was hanging straight down before.This one has been moved out away form the body to hold the cig carton and the elbow bent up about half way. Just as others have mentioned on different threads, arms that hang straight down don't give you many display options. This way I can change the display with a variety of items.The options are endless!

I'll post some "how I did it" images later this week when I reconfigure another arm on a different display.

attachicon.gifIMG_0817.JPG

good job!

• 2 weeks later...

Thansk WW2JAKE!

I'm sidetracked on beginning my WW2 German farmhouse display as a backdrop for another VARSITY display featuring a 17th AB troop with a STEN and a wounded and captured German Flak soldier. Here's the concept. I'll report after framing, sheet rock, tape/mud and finish touches.

post-15065-0-92361400-1415827055.jpg

Step 1 was getting the sill plate down. The base is 6 feet x 2 feet. Here is the image of that process. I lined the bottom of the lumber with foam padding to save the wood floor from scuffing should I need to remove the "house". I used 3 1/2" deck screws to fasten the plates through the sub floor. I'll end up with 5 holes in the wood floor, but putty will fix that if the need arises.

I also included the 2 signs that will be attached to the house. The metal one comes from Sickendorf flea market FRG, 1985. It probably dates from the early 1900's. The wood Ortskommandantur came from Latvia. The reverse gave a clue to a village that is no longer standing. Was in the Kurland sector of a Volksgrenadier Div in early 1945. I am convinced its original.

post-15065-0-29752600-1415829245.jpg

Basic frame completed. Next I will frame out the location for the window. It will be open behind the shutters so that I can access the existing window if needed. The shutters will be hinged so they open into the junk room to access the window if needed, their normal mode will be closed. I don't have to build this with headers and extra sturdy support, because there is no load on the top. Once I sheet rock it, it will be very solid.

post-15065-0-64435900-1415833502.jpg

Framing complete. Very simple structure with no headers due to lack of loads. I used screws so that I could take it out later if needed. Time to go get some sheet rock!!!

post-15065-0-05448900-1415894849.jpg

Almost done with the sheet rock hanging. I only have to rock the inside of the window frame and then its on to mud and taping. My plan is to cover all of the rock and most of the brick with a layer or two of mud and leave a bit of the brick exposed to portray cracked and missing stucco and some battle damage. I think that will give the farm house an overall weathered appearance. The wood shutters will cover the window opening, or I can open those if I need more light in the room.

post-15065-0-39941200-1415912513.jpgpost-15065-0-64533200-1415912518.jpg

Almost done with the sheet rock hanging. I only have to rock the inside of the window frame and then its on to mud and taping. My plan is to cover all of the rock and most of the brick with a layer or two of mud and leave a bit of the brick exposed to portray cracked and missing stucco and some battle damage. I think that will give the farm house an overall weathered appearance. The wood shutters will cover the window opening, or I can open those if I need more light in the room.

attachicon.gifIMG_0860.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0859.JPG

wow you work fast! looks good so far

Spot on. Primarily distressed appearance, with a few bullet holes, then the addition of the street sign and the WH sign. That's a great photo. Thanks...I will use it as a guide B)

Wish I could get some distressed brick paneling!! I taped and bedded the corners and seams. I used a bit of the extra mud to start the area of distressed stucco. I still have a lot of work to do. I think I will be generous with the mud on the brick, and then I can chip away small portions at the edge where the brick shows to make it look chipped off and not mudded on.

So far the otal cost of the project without shutters is $84.

post-15065-0-53361000-1415985900.jpg

Finished the "stucco" coating. I used a medium thickness coat and went over it with a small "joint knife". I used a large "taping knife" to knock down the ridges made by the small tool. This gives the mud an exterior-like appearance and will produce some smooth ridges and valleys to hold a darker shade of paint in the depressions when I paint. I'm leaning towards off-white with a dirty wash to bring out the highlights. I'll give it a few days to dry slowly, and I hope I did not go too thick on the mud. It tends to crack is it dries too quickly when thick. :wacko:

I'm thinking my display is a bit too narrow (6feet). I should have started it at a corner, gone 8 feet and then turned the corner back. I have two transitions in the display in stead of two. I'll have the 139th CP on the left, the VARSITY display in the middle and the Camp Mackall display on the right. Probably too much crap for the eyes to view with little in the way of transition. I guess you have to make do with the space you have. Then again, 6 feet should suffice to place the Engineer with MG and the captured FLAK troop and a pile of combat refuse on the ground.

post-15065-0-22483000-1416070867.jpg

I finished my first coating of an off white color for the stucco. I weathered the bricks with some highlights and the grout also as the dark grout looked too new. Next will be a darker, slightly brown/dirty wash much like model building. I'll try and fill the nooks and crannies of the stucco with a translucent light brown. I'll do a bit of darker shading on the bricks to kill the very light appearance of the highlights.

post-15065-0-74562900-1416262323.jpg

I finished my first coating of an off white color for the stucco. I weathered the bricks with some highlights and the grout also as the dark grout looked too new. Next will be a darker, slightly brown/dirty wash much like model building. I'll try and fill the nooks and crannies of the stucco with a translucent light brown. I'll do a bit of darker shading on the bricks to kill the very light appearance of the highlights.

attachicon.gifIMG_0864.JPG

looks good so far!

Jake, the image you posted helped a lot. I just added the two signs as I could not wait. I can 'weather" around them later.

what is the brick stuff made from?

choochoo, thanks for the compliment!

Jake,

The brick material comes from Lowes. It is about 4x8 panel, made from a fiberboard type material, Here's the link:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13964-46498-288_0__?productId=1015475&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-Millwork-_-InteriorWallPanels-_-1015475&CAWELAID=1367973915&kpid=1015475&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=2d71e9e5-9e13-c089-233f-000011f9d7c4&kpid=1015475

The vision is starting to come together! 139th AEB Command Post near Houffalize on the left, farmhouse near LZ N in the center and Camp Mackall on the right.

post-15065-0-30804000-1416282671.jpg