Waited 34 years for a "Junk Room"

17thairborne

Finally after schleppping my militaria collection around the globe for 34 years, I finally retired and we built our own home. Sweat equity, a huge learning curve, 15 month living in a 5th wheel and we finally moved in. I still have lots of finishing details to accomplish and the landscaping/fencing, but I am finally able to take a breather and focus a bit on the Militaria Collection.

My collection has evolved several times from German WWI/II (stationed in Germany) to anything Airborne, to anything 17th Airborne to now ONLY 139th Airborne Engineer Battalion, (long story there).

I've enclosed a few photos of the progress on the uniform room (aka junk room) from framing to completion as well as the initial move in. I still ahve a lot of work to do, but will post some pics as the progress advances. I'm doing this in two stages; 1. move it all in and set it up so I can remeber what it all looks like (been in storage for 3 years), 2. take my time and build a museum quality display of the 139th from Camp Mackall, through Bastogne and into germany.

[/size]http://castraponere.com/bloodonthetalon/photos/junkroomframing.jpg'>http://castraponere.com/bloodonthetalon/photos/junkroomframing.jpg
Framing progress circa Aug '12

http://castraponere.com/bloodonthetalon/photos/junkroompainted.jpg
Nearly complete

http://castraponere.com/bloodonthetalon/photos/junkroommess.jpg
What a mess

http://castraponere.com/bloodonthetalon/photos/junkroomcase.jpg
starting to fill the display

Woohoo, an exciting time! I also like the way you have some shelving "IN" the wall. Neat idea! Keep the photos coming as you progress.

Thanks for all the supportive comments. The idea for the built in case was long in the making. Since I had the stem walls above the garage pushed in to preclude low side walls, I gained some "alcove" space on both sides. I elected not to do built ins on both walls as this would have reduced the wall space for displays. As for the glass shelves; I've hauled those around for over 15 years and used them as my sole source for tiny junk room shelving. I was fortunate to get to a glass seller that was going out of business a while ago. Nothing beats the extra thick "medicine cabinet' shelves though. I use the simple slotted shelve supports screwed into the walls and buy the shelf brackets to match.

I was going to install plexiglass front sliding doors, but have not gotten around to it. i built a plug in the top of the case for LED light strips which are activated from a rocker shitch on the front above. Now I need to find some 40's looking old window shutters for the east side to block out direct sunlight. The windows left and right of the case face NE, so there will be only reflectie light through those. I used UV filtered light fixtures to minimize damage to artifacts.

Did some more work on the junk room. Set up a few 139th uniform displays and a captured engineer/demolition display...all INERT of course! Not a single REPRO in the group. Still looking for US WW2 and German engineer inert demolition and engineering tools.

bastognecp.jpg

Start of the 139th AEB Command Post set up

3guys.jpg

Start of the display of uniforms from '43-'45

overview1.jpg

Moving along the wall to the right

IMG_2887.JPG

Detail of captured ordnance

Wow what a display room that is! I agree, the built in was a great idea and now I have something else to add to the list :)

Are the floors wood or pergo? I really like the look they add to the space.

Thanks for posting!

Nick, Matt, TRR and Old Marine,

Thanks for the feedback!!

Here is a pic of the cap patches. Most of them are pretty common, but I focused on the type that would hav been worn by the Anb Engs, hence a lot of red and white and a mix of the "all brances" R/W/B variants.

oz

IMG_2888.JPG

Wow what a display room that is! I agree, the built in was a great idea and now I have something else to add to the list :)

Are the floors wood or pergo? I really like the look they add to the space.

Thanks for posting!

Floors are wood laminate to keep the cost down. The finish is hickory. Only took about 6 hours to lay the floor. The intent is to have something with contrast to the wall color and eventually look good as flooring for the WW2 Belgian farmhouse floor. That is phase II of the display once ai get settled and clear out the list of other projects.

Great displays and war room! I really like focused collections, they show the dedication of the collector, and the outcome of that dedication is always worth the hard work it was to get all the items. I know the feeling as I look for a lot of coast artillery unit specific stuff myself.

The German shoulderboards are an attempt to complete one type from most ofthe units that faced the 17th A/B Div. That would be Fuhrer Begleit Brigade, 26th VkGren Div, 3rd, 15th PzGren Div, Panzer Lehr, and 84th In Div among other units, but those were the prime ones.

detaildemo.jpg

Floors are wood laminate to keep the cost down. The finish is hickory. Only took about 6 hours to lay the floor. The intent is to have something with contrast to the wall color and eventually look good as flooring for the WW2 Belgian farmhouse floor. That is phase II of the display once ai get settled and clear out the list of other projects.

I am going keep hickory in mind as I planned on using laminate as well when I get around to the office/war room. We got lucky with our new house as the entire living area is all real oak and has been taken care of. Now in the hopes my little ones don't destroy them.

CB,

I thought that would be a geat place to hang that. The 17th guyd wore a lot of German stuff after VARSITY. Its typical to see the black leather belts with buckle being worn. Note the modified M43 trousers. An original pair rigger modified. I'll post some pics later.

TRR,

Wow! Oak floors. I'll bet that looks nice. Nice thing about oak is it takes a lot of punishment even from kids. Look forward to seeing your war office/room.

Room came out great and that's some pretty amazing junk!

My room is under construction right now and I'm doing 3 built-ins roughly 4'high by 5'wide and 2'deep. After seeing yours I'm even more glad my buddy talked the mrs. Into letting him put them in.

plick27,

That's great. hope to see some pics soon. That should give you lots of display space. Is your collection centered around the Thunderbirds?

oz

Great looking room! I will keep the wood flooring in mind as that is the next step in my office/library. I was look at using carpet remnants, but it is tough to find pieces large enough. My current flooring looks something like a jigsaw puzzle.

plick27,

That's great. hope to see some pics soon. That should give you lots of display space. Is your collection centered around the Thunderbirds?

oz

Almost exclusively 45th, less the USMC pieces.

Just took a break from framing(been going since 6:30a.m) the built ins and decided that we're going to do some storage underneath each one. The built ins will be about 2' from the floor so it'll give me about 20" high storage, perfect for plastic storage totes. Deciding on whether or not to go cedar lined. That chit is pricey! So not to hijack, will get some pics up in another thread when I get a chance.

RJ