Early USMC / Marine Corp Photograph

usmcraidergirl

usmcraidergirl

I thought I would share this photograph with you and see what you guys thought about this earlier image. I'm sure I paid too much for it, but I hadn't seen such a clear picture from this period for sale in a long while, so I figured "why not."

Here is the front showing the Civil War style shoulder boards / epaulets with the reddish fringe. In person you can clearly see the buttons are Marine buttons. No hat in sight unfortunately. But, nice head shot and shot of the uniform.

1.jpg

The back of the card states in hand writing:

Ira Spindler

age - about 20 yrs.

1880-81

in Marine uniform

It was taken by "T.G. Holland, Ferrotype, & Photographer No. 511 Walnut Street, Wilmington, Del."

Any thoughts/comments about the ID and/or the time period?

usmcraidergirl

Too, if anyone has any information about Ira Spindler, I would really appreciate it! I haven't been able to come up with anything yet, as most of the stuff I have is all post-1900.

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR
Too, if anyone has any information about Ira Spindler, I would really appreciate it! I haven't been able to come up with anything yet, as most of the stuff I have is all post-1900.

I did a quick check on ancestry.com of the Marine Corps muster rolls and can find no Ira Spindler listed. Sorry i couldnt come up with anything..

I did a quick check on ancestry.com of the Marine Corps muster rolls and can find no Ira Spindler listed. Sorry i couldnt come up with anything..

I think the ones you mentioned online are only for about 1900 to 1940.

That is a great image....money well spent! thumbsup.gif Nothing on him yet will have to check the complete muster rolls at the National Archives or Quantico the next time I am down there...Ive got a washington DC guy I am trying to track as well. Wish I knew your guys home location....

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR
I think the ones you mentioned online are only for about 1900 to 1940.

It covers USMC muster rolls from 1798-1940...or so says ancestry.com.nice photo..perhaps an archive search would turn something up...just trying to help..good luck

It covers USMC muster rolls from 1798-1940...or so says ancestry.com.nice photo..perhaps an archive search would turn something up...just trying to help..good luck

For some reason, they have not yet posted the pre-1900 rolls but it is an excellent resource for the years it does cover. Finding info on 19th century Marines is very tough in part because career Marines of that era would probably have been lifelong bachelors and thus not likely to show up in family trees.

usmcraidergirl

Thanks for the comments guys. What do you think about the date on it? Does that seem about right? I've been searching for the longest time to find out when this style went out of style, but haven't seem to put my finger on the right reference. :(

Leatherneck 1918

i'm new here so please go easy guys

The uniform that he is wearing is the 1875 USMC Dress Frock Coat that was worn from 1875-1892.The Fringe on the shoulder scales is a Dark gold color and they do show up darker in the photos of the day.Hope this helps you out.

Steve