HOLSTER SURVIVAL KIT, INDIVIDUAL LIGHTWEIGHT, ARMY

Mashsig

Wow - thanks for posting the cover.

I had read about this manual - however I had no idea what it looked like.

The next year the Army made the Operator's Manual for the SRU-21/P Survival Vest. And that manual apparently became the standard format (size, layout and fonts) for Army Survival Kit pocket size Operator's Manual TMs from 1969 on.

It looks like its about the tiny size as the OV-1 Hot Climate Kit from 1971 and OV-1 Overwater Kit -10s I have from 1968. The 1970 dated SRU-21P vest -10 is certainly larger, about 2x the size of the OV-1 kit manuals. Seems like the punched hole in the corner is to be attached to that dummy cord that's on the plastic packing list in that kit? That must have been pretty awful carrying that with the kit itself, a survival knife, SDU-5 strobe and the RT-10 radio. Thats some heavy crap right there all bundled together.

The 1970 Operator's Manual for the SRU-21/P Survival Vest that I have is 4" x 5 3/4" - which is the same size as the 1975 Operator's Manual that I have for the OV-1 (RSSK and Vest kits).

"Thats some heavy crap right there all bundled together."

That was the general consensus of the helicopter pilots who used the kit in Vietnam.

I talked to a Colonel who said he carried "damn thing" in his helmet bag.

A Green Beret I talked to said he traded a Hot Wet Environment Kit - "So I could get that frying pan with the removable handle!"

I will try and find my SRU-21/P manual and take some comparison photos. I have two - one has three holes the same size as the one hole in the Leg Holster Kit manual. The other one does not.

"The 1970 Operator's Manual for the SRU-21/P Survival Vest that I have is 4" x 5 3/4" - which is the same size as the 1975 Operator's Manual that I have for the OV-1 (RSSK and Vest kits)."

I stand corrected!

The 1975 OV-1 Operator's Manual I have is slightly smaller than my 1970 SRU-21/P Operator's Manual. See my comparison photos.

post-129049-0-40519600-1518650780_thumb.jpeg

post-129049-0-27958400-1518650792.jpeg

Check out the various sizes 1968-1999. Thats obviously not all the TMs but it seems the 80s brought on a more standard size. I know my Individual Kits manuals from the 80s are also the same size as that RSSK and AIRSAVE -10 and plasticized

post-11373-0-67072000-1518654073_thumb.jpg