HOLSTER SURVIVAL KIT, INDIVIDUAL LIGHTWEIGHT, ARMY

Mashsig

The U.S. Army's "Holster Survival Kit, Individual, Lightweight, Army", FSN 8465-935-4728, was type classed "Standard A" in April 1968 for CONUS units. It replaced the NAVY SEEK 2 Survival kit that the Army had been using until that time.

In June 1968 100 "Holster Survival Kit, Individual, Lightweight, Army" were sent to Vietnam. In November 1969 the Army decided to not purchase this kit and made the decision to procure a limited number of Air Force SRU-21/P Survival Vests.

(Why did the Army decide to NOT issue this kit? I think Shelby L. Stanton was dead on when he wrote in his book U.S. Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War - the Leg Holster Survival kit made some pilots walk with a limp...)

Here are some story board photos of my "Leg Holster" Survival Kit.

post-129049-0-89300600-1377994121.png

The ink label for the Holster is to the right of the radio pocket:

HOLSTER

SURVIVAL KIT, INDIVIDUAL

LIGHTWEIGHT, ARMY

11-1-943

ROCKET JET ENGR CORP.

F.S.N. 8465-J01-0741

Here is my photo of the inner nylon bag that carried the frying pan, plastic tray which could made into a shovel and the survival kit pallet.

post-129049-0-99997400-1377994461.png

The label on this carrying bag is as follows:

BAG, GARRYING

SURVIVAL KIT, INDIVIDUAL

LIGHWEIGHT, ARMY

11-1-946

ROCKET JET ENG. CORP.

US

Here is my photo of the inner carrying bag - opened showing the frying pan and plastic tray that protect the survival kit pallet:

post-129049-0-13199100-1377994668.png

The nylon retaining snap secures to a stud on the frying pan and is attached the plastic tray.

Here is the frying pan. Unfortunately these photos do not have the resolution to show the stamp on the outside top of the pan.

post-129049-0-13951100-1377994911.png

The snap stud for the nylon retaining strap is shown on the bottom of the pan in this view and the male thread for the flare launcher handle is on the top - not visible.

This next photo is the inside of the plastic tray/bottom cover/ flare launcher handle and holder for the flares and signal mirror

and the survival kit pallet folded for storage:

post-129049-0-07346600-1377995325.png

The folded survival kit pallet is shown inside the quart marked plastic water bag.

This is a photo of the kit contents card:

post-129049-0-81344500-1377995513.png

The shape of the laminated card allows it to fit inside the inner nylon bag.

The nylon material for both bags is the same as the nylon material of the Vietnam Lightweight Rucksack. Same OG 106 color also.

Here is my photo of the right side of the survival kit pallet:

post-129049-0-20972800-1377996000.png

Of note in this photo is the "blade assembly knife" and "blade assembly hacksaw".

The "blade assemblies" screwed into the flare launcher handle.

The next photo is a close up of the 3rd section of the pallet and the "blade assembly knife" is on the right of the photo.

Here is a close up of the top of the 3rd section of the folding survival kit pallet. The "blade assembly hacksaw" is under the wire saw on the left of this photo. The "blade assembly knife" is on the right of this photo to the left of the candle which is to the right of the tube of antibiotic ointment.

Left to right: "blade assembly hacksaw" (6), wire saw (14), tube antibiotic ointment (44), candle (22), "blade assembly knife" (5)

post-129049-0-00549600-1377996681.png

Typo in post number 2: "GARRYING" should be CARRYING correct label is shown below:

BAG, CARRYING

SURVIVAL KIT, INDIVIDUAL

LIGHWEIGHT, ARMY

11-1-946

ROCKET JET ENG. CORP.

US

Okay, after all these years I finally see where my pen flare with the hacksaw blade and the knife blade with the orange plastic protective coating came from.

You've shown in your kit! Thanks! Danny

post-1691-0-75894800-1378005275.jpg

• 2 years later...

Greetings, its been a long time since I last posted.

I was forced into retirement in November 2011, after a 22 year career in DOD software development.

It never occurred to me before that layoff that I would not be able to get another job and finish my career. So I actively sought employment until January 2015. At which time - after a great deal of age discrimination - and the decline of the Defense budget - I retired.

I then had to move.

I was only recently able to get my stuff out of storage and complete my book on the Leg Holster Survival Kit, Individual, Lightweight Army.

I have included many new color photos and two black and white photos from TM 55-8465-206-13, Organizational and DS Maintenance Manual for Survival Kits, Army Aircraft, dated December 1966, Change-1, which I finally was able to track down and obtain this year. It was this TM that allowed me to finish this book. (I have included all of the pages of the first release of this standard - specific to the Leg Holster Kit and several on the vest (SV-2 which the army was using in the early 60s) and the raft kit from a copy my friend sent me in an Appendix. I have included many new closeups, diagrams and a measurements chapter. (I scanned-in my measurement notes and put it in an appendix.) The US patent for what became the "Auxiliary" Survival Kit part of the Leg Holster Kit made by Rocket Jet Engineering Corp., is included in another appendix.

Because it has been a long time - I have to re-read the rules about selling/advertising on the forum. In the mean time for those of you who purchased my Survival Lighter book - you can find my book for the Leg Holster Kit under my name on the same website that you bought my OV-1 and SRU-21/P Survival Lighter book.

Regards,

Mashsig

OK - I just reviewed the Forum Rules for selling and advertising and will post an add there for my new book with as much information about how to find it as allowed by the rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Mashig:

Is your book a print book or an "E" book only?

Thanks for posting your pics. I have one of these kits but mine still has the anti-pilfering lead seal attached so I can't open her up. As much as I want to, it would be sacrilegious to break that seal!

• 1 year later...

Item Description: This US Army Lightweight Individual Survival Kit – also known as the “Leg Holster Survival Kit” was developed by the US Army and Rocket Jet Engineering Corporation of Sherman Oaks, CA after Rocket Jet filed a patent for a new survival kit container in May 1966.
Natick Labs produced the OD green nylon leg holster and the OD green nylon auxiliary kit carrier and Rocket Jet produced the kit container and kit contents – with a limited delivery to Vietnam combat aviation units - under a development contract. This kit was intended to replace the US Navy SEEK 2 Survival Kit the Army was supplying to Army Aviation personnel for use in emergency situations during the Vietnam War.

This kit was issued to helicopter and non-ejection seat aircraft pilots flying combat missions in the Republic of Vietnam from the middle of 1967 to the middle of 1969. The kit was classified “Standard A” in April of 1968 and was authorized for CONUS aviation units. Contract negotiations stalled and a production contract was not awarded to Rocket Jet Engineering Corporation. The US Air Force SRU-21/P Survival Vest kit was selected by the US Army to replace the Leg Holster Kit.

This kit is shown on pages: 38 to 41 of the book: United States Combat Aircrew Survival Equipment by Michael S. Breunninger.

Shelby Stanton describes this kit and has a photo of a Captain wearing the kit in Vietnam prior to a helicopter mission on page: 194, of his book: US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War.

FSN:8465-935-4728
Development Contract Number: DAAG. 17-67-C-0056
Rocket Jet Engineering Corporation Part Number: 776000-1

• 2 weeks later...

Mashsig, In your eBook you state you have not been able to find a copy of the operators manual dated June 1969. I have a copy of it dated 9 August 1968, if that will be of any interest to you.

Mashsig, In your eBook you state you have not been able to find a copy of the operators manual dated June 1969. I have a copy of it dated 9 August 1968, if that will be of any interest to you.

Yes I would.

PS Thank You for buying my Book!