Branson MO Veterans Museum update

hawkdriver

Since the other thread was closed, here is the update on the museum. I drove by last night and the place was lit up like a Christmas Tree. Went by this morning and here is what was there.

o6iio2.jpg

262tg0z.jpg

2duh2mg.jpg

Last night during dinner, I asked a couple of the locals about the museum and they had no clue about any of the stuff we've discussed, just that it closed down and as everything in Branson, will eventually open back up or be turned into something else. The sign says "under new management", so will be interesting to see what comes of it.

They are going to haul in truckloads of former Soviet Bloc gear and it will be named the Yakov Smirnoff Red Star Museum and Comedy Theatre.

I am from the area and everything in Branson is slow. I think the museum is supposed to open again how much stuff is left or what else will be in there I don't know. There have been several museums in Branson shut down in the past few years

Well, I got the inside scoop. I just met the president of the Branson City Council and also the president of a local bank and had lunch. He told me that this museum issue has been coming for some time. Long story short, he said that the guy responsible for buying most of the items in the museum was the original owner. It seems he bought most of it back up and the museum is going to re-open, but this time, instead of being a for profit, it is going to be a non-profit. The College of the Ozarks is going to be the curator and run the museum this time.

ScottG: None of the statues were sold in the auction. They were auctioned off, but I'm sure nobody was willing to pay the minimum starting bid, and the auctioneer chose to leave the item unsold.

Hawkdriver: The original owner, as in the guy that was running this museum? So let me get this straight... he uses a part of his museum valued at $20,000,000 as part of a debt settlement with his bank. The bank pays him to store the items at the museum. The bank sell off the contents that it owns at auction, where the original owner buys them back for less than $300,000. If true, I need to get a loan from this bank! They just give money away! lol

Hawkdriver: The original owner, as in the guy that was running this museum? So let me get this straight... he uses a part of his museum valued at $20,000,000 as part of a debt settlement with his bank. The bank pays him to store the items at the museum. The bank sell off the contents that it owns at auction, where the original owner buys them back for less than $300,000. If true, I need to get a loan from this bank! They just give money away! lol

200px-MattLesko-cropped.jpg

Crap! I knew I should have bought that guys' book. Apparently it really DOES work.

In all seriousness, I don't think we know the full story here - at least I certainly hope we don't - so in the interest of the forum, let's all be careful about making any accusations. That being said, I will be standing in line with the rest of you, very eager to hear the whole tale if we should ever be so lucky.

The individual I ate with also told me that this "guy" had a warehouse of militaria that was far in excess of what was in the museum. I to am wondering how the bank managed to take a soaking like this and still have customers and shareholders? Isn't this how we got into the sub prime loan scandal?

Public Informer

attachicon.gif200px-MattLesko-cropped.jpg

Crap! I knew I should have bought that guys' book. Apparently it really DOES work.

In all seriousness, I don't think we know the full story here - at least I certainly hope we don't - so in the interest of the forum, let's all be careful about making any accusations. That being said, I will be standing in line with the rest of you, very eager to hear the whole tale if we should ever be so lucky.

Skenkursk, Keep checking in the whole tale will be told soon! The bank just requested information about the appraisal on the museum exhibits used for the loan! And the IRS is looking in to His LLC's I've been contacted by both, the Bank and the IRS as a former employee! Other Federal agencies have been notified!

This entire ordeal is such a shame. I am sure when the bank gets the items reappraised, they will be shocked at their low value. Who appraised the items the first time?

Public Informer

This entire ordeal is such a shame. I am sure when the bank gets the items reappraised, they will be shocked at their low value. Who appraised the items the first time?

ajbUSWM, Go back and read the first forum I posted about the P-51 appraisal. That appraisial is what they requested! The Bank accepted the appraisal given by Hoppe at the start of the loans, and didn't do an inventory or another appraisal at the time! When you buy shake-oil you eventually get bitten! Wonder what will happen when the College of the Ozarks get the full information! Lincoln said: "You can fool some of the people some of the time. But you can't fool all of the people all of the time". The truth eventually get is revealed!

From what my guy told me, the College knows what is coming, to what extent, I don't know. At some point, someone along the line will have to "wipe the slate" and write it off. I would be hopeful that the College said that would happen before they got their fingers into it.

Public Informer

Oh goody! Get the popcorn out, this should get interesting!

hawkdriver, The kettle is getting really hot! And when things start to pop! The corn is going to fly all over! Time to send some documents to the chamber and the college! The truth always wins over lies! Here's one to read that didn't happen: http://www.pulaskicountydaily.com/news.php?viewStory=1594 When they received copies of public documents!

• 2 weeks later...
Public Informer

Well, I got the inside scoop. I just met the president of the Branson City Council and also the president of a local bank and had lunch. He told me that this museum issue has been coming for some time. Long story short, he said that the guy responsible for buying most of the items in the museum was the original owner. It seems he bought most of it back up and the museum is going to re-open, but this time, instead of being a for profit, it is going to be a non-profit. The College of the Ozarks is going to be the curator and run the museum this time.

Well It's been a week since the museum opened! I placed a call to the College of the Ozarks and visited with the secretary of the administrator a week ago. She knew nothing of the college's involvement with the museum! But took a lot of information, and said she'd return a phone call to me. Still haven't received that call? Anyone know for sure what's going on with this museum and the college? Is having veterans come to Brason Mo. so important there is No Honor in by these people keep it open with closed door deals! What a Dishonor to those core value these Hero's with their service lived and died for! To use Veterans for profit by the Branson movers & shakers! Great community leaders?