Personal Equipment

skautdog

OK. Nobody was interested in my AUG 28, 2013 post RE: Field Equipment Storage.

Let me try this less detailed question. What is the best was to store/display canteens, cups, and canteen covers? All in the cover or kept separately?

Also, I'd still appreciate any opinions regarding my AUG 28 question.

Thanks.

Ken

strawberry 9

I store mine all together. Your enemy with militaria will be light, moisture and bugs. Avoid these things and you should be ok. My field gear is kept in footlockers. Separating them with some sort of archival type cloth helps as well.

Sorry to have missed your previous question...

As posted above becareful with moisture, huge fluxuations with temp, light and obviously insects.
As for placeing items onto the belts watch for stretch and stress issues. Some older belts (more specifically leather) can stretch out of shape if care is not taken or (heaven's forbid) break. Also becareful stroing belts with items attached. I have seen issues where a twist in the belt (due to a canteen, bayonet, etc.) has become semi-permanent!

When not on display I keep my belts (mostly WWII and WWI) coiled with the gear off (with leather, flat is always the best). I keep the gear (specific for the belt) stored with the belt so as to not confuse what goes with what. I have taged each item with a museum tag (acid free) to help with the organization and cataloging aspect. The gear is then wrapped in unbleached muslin fabric and stored in foot-lockers. I keep a small amount of silica (the stuff that absorbes water and is usually found in the box with new electronics) in the foot-locker...and I stress "a small amount" as you want to keep excess moisture out, not dry out the material. If you are dealing with leather be extra careful using silica. I use the muslin to prevent abrasions on items and to create a barrier between items. This is important to prevent issues if one item should decide to self destruct (example - if something starts to rust the muslin prevents it from bleeding onto the mint items that it is next to).

Lastly I do not overpack the foot-lockers.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Steve