3-Color DCU Field jacket with 1989 date...WHAT!? Can someone explain!?

BowlofRice

Hey everyone,

At the $10 vintage store there's this DCU field jacket with a velcro rectangle for a flightsuit tag. But a few days ago I looked at the manufacture date and it said 1989!? The earliest DCUs I've ever seen are two with a date of 1990, which I both bought. And even THAT is uncommon, as the DCUs were not issued until 1992 at least (I think?), with the retirement of the six color DBDU of Desert Storm fame.

The field jacket has been sitting on the rack forever, probably due to the numerous scorch marks on it. What explains that? Over-ironing or Desert Storm!?

Oh I just checked ebay there is also a 1989 dated DCU field jacket fully patched with 1st Cav patch. Sold for $45.

If someone can explain why these DCUs were made so early, I'd appreciate it.

*P.S. I have a DCU with 1990 production date, but theatre-made Lt Col patches. (Well I think they're theatre made because they're poorly made; differently shaped oak leaves, different material.) Does this mean they were wearing DCUs in Iraq in Desert Storm!? Never seen any photos...

flashesandovals

DCU items were issued during desert storm. I have several 1989 dated field jackets and field caps. As there were no 6-color field jackets, the DCU 3-color ones were issued.

I got my first sets of DCUs on the Northern Iraqi border in August 1991..of course we got no desert insignia with them, I took the stuff off my BDUs and sewed them on by hand...this is me after I had my aircrew style name tags mailed to me. The watch I'm wearing is a Russian piece I got in Zakho, Iraq....I hit it against a cable rack after I got back to Germany and it broke - but it was a cool looking watch. Dang it.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-67100800-1377915405.jpg

Nice uniform! My DCU looks just like that, except with the theater made Lt. Col ranks on the collar. Mine has no American flag though...could it still have been worn in Iraq? It still needs an aircrew patch. I've found some websites that let you design custom aircrew tags, but looking through some pictures of pilots and ground crewmen revealed many different styles. Is there a particular style and color that I need to make mine in, or is it up to the wearer?

For the DCU/BDU/Choc Chips, the name tags were black leather with silver lettering. Mine read:

Mark Conrad

TSgt USAF

You also had the option of having your occupational specialty badger added, which I chose not to. Badgers were mandatory for aircrew and chaplains.

Mark sends

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I selected the embroidered option...switched it back to leather. And it's $3 cheaper in leather! :P

But why would my coat have rank patches if the wearer's rank would already have been written on their aircrew tag? :wacko:

For a brief time, you had to wear chevrons AND the name tag....it was a time when it seemed like were changing something on our uniforms every week....

Mark sends

Thanks for your help! Always nice to have someone who was there and wore the same uniform...

But...I traded away my Desert Storm DCU for some ACU rank patches and branch tape for my new ACU. Honestly, though it was in my size, dated 1990, AND had theatre made patches...I really wasn't digging it. Just...not enough patches. It looked kind of boring. Furthermore getting an aircrew patch would be more expensive than the coat itself...not to mention shipping fees.

I have several first issue 3 color desert dating from 1990 in both ripstop and NYCO. I also have an m65 parka in 3 color desert dated 1989 and a frag vest cover again dated 89. The colors of the 89/90 sets are slightly different to later 91 onwards sets, the colors feature a mint green desert shade which is more tan in later issues.

Also to note nearly 99% of early 3 color deserts I've owned or resold have been exclusively issued to the USAF.

• 2 weeks later...

I have several three color DCU's that have 90 and 91 contract dates. Including one patched for the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO). And I also have a three color DCU field jacket with a 1989 contract date which has woodland green US Army 22nd Support Command patches with a theater made tan U.S. Army name tape.