Top gun helmet

FireRescue

hopefully this is the right place and I don't get laughed out of here

But what was the exact makeup of the helmets and masks used on in the movie top gun, were they accurate as to what was being used?

northcoastaero

The helmets were the HGU-33/P made by Gentex and probably painted and assembled by Flightsuits Ltd. (now Gibson & Barnes/

gibsonandbarnes.com). The correct USN helmet used at that time would be the Gentex or Scott HGU-33/P that was configured

with the PRK-37/P helmet shell. At the time of the movie, the USN would have used 80% white reflective tape on their helmets

along with 20% other colors of reflective tape. The movie helmets were painted and may have reflective tape in the design

underneath the clear coat. Also, the USN helmets would usually have a square patch of Velcro on the right side of the visor

housing for attachment of the SDU-5/E strobe light that was used for signaling if the crew had to eject. I do not believe

the movie helmets had the Velcro. The oxygen mask would be the Gentex and/or Scott MBU-14/P with a green face piece and a

green upper hose along with an amplifier for the M-101 (or M-94B/A) microphone, green attachment straps for the offset (or J)

bayonets that attach to the helmet mask receivers, offset bayonets that are shiny instead of the later dull finish,

USN type communications cable, communications cable extension?, CRU-79/P oxygen mini-regulator (made by Clifton Precision?)

with a zippered pocket that attaches the mini-regulator to the SV-2B survival vest via Velcro, lower high pressure hose made

by R.E. Darling Co. (REDAR) with a locking connector at the lower end (continues communications cable inside hose also).

The USN MBU-14/P is a variant of the USAF MBU-12/P oxygen mask. Also, the helmets around this time frame started to use a

woodland camouflage cover so the reflecting tape could not be seen during flight. The movie helmets did not use camouflage

covers. I will take a look at the movie again for helmet and mask configurations when I have more time.

The aircrews would wear a gray skull cap underneath the helmet to absorb sweat. In the movie, the skull

caps may have been white if used? Hope this helps.

Yeah that's amazing, thank you for taking so much time and putting so much though into your answer. I'd love to build a truly accurate replica, or buy one. I've seen some knock off maverick helmets on ebay but when I compared them to screen shots from the movie they didn't look right either wrong helmet, visor, mask, or graphics. i'd love to get as close to dead accurate as I can. Will re-read your components and look into it further. Again thank you very much! You really know your stuff