Found inside breadbag wife got me.

Trooper B.A.R

Trooper B.A.R

Last night getting items wife found at estate sale, I decided to open breadbag. It felt stiff, but didn't think anything of it. Well inside was a large folded map approx. 38X42. With a canvas like backing, and looks like the individual pieces of map could be replaced or overlayed with new one. I see there were markings on map deawn. Thought someone could tell me more on it, or what they thought. Thanks

th_SDC13492_zps33505105.jpg

th_SDC13490_zps3a4bcb7e.jpg

th_SDC13489_zps37424628.jpg

th_SDC13487_zps5ba610cc.jpg

th_SDC13484_zps7c38fa72.jpg

That is a great plus. I saw your post about the good stuff your wife found for you. It just gets better finding that map in the bag. The photos are too small to really see anything, but it looks like a typical military map and it looks like it shows troop deployments and movements, both enemy and friendly.

Congratulations, thank your wife.

Trooper B.A.R

The red markings are for a German Battalion of 150 mm Heavy field howitzers in position.

Thank you. Any idea of what area this is, or major conflict of the area? Worth keeping?

The red circles with dots are anti aircraft units.

This map represents an area south of Metz, France.

Not sure which color is the German red or blue ?

I'm inclined to believe that the red is US because they appear to be facing in the right direction.

The blue X's are wire entanglements.

The red rectangle is a command post.

I'd agree with manayunkman that the blue are probably German. The area looks like it was part of the Lorraine campaign. The Germans were heavily fortified on the Delme Ridge (Delmer-Rucken on the map) until they were defeated 9 Nov 1944.

The blue hash marks around the towns near the ridge represent German defended towns that have been infiltrated by the enemy.

All the little blue dots inside the triangle and extending arms are fortified positions.

Trooper B.A.R

Looking at the map, with all the info and knowledge your all passing on, it brings to life the map and the campaign there. Thanks, thanks very much.

That is one of the best marked maps I have ever seen.

Wonder if the markings are done by the German and if so how do they know so much about the US tactical situation ?

There is even a symbol for US heavy artillery on the move.

Trooper B.A.R

Thanks again for all the information and insight. As to preserving and framing, I wish I had the room. Probable will be using it toward trades as all my German items that aren't Luft or flight related that I acquire. Again thanks.