Japanese Sword question?

Jba1973

I just bought a grouping of items that belonged to a Lt Jg. He was part of the early occupation force in Japan. Among the items in the group were 3 swords, a box that contained 3 Japanese ships lamps, and another box that appears to have been an electronics box of some kind. The box is covered in Japanese characters on one side and the top, while the reverse is addressed to the vets wife, obviously shipped home as a spoil of war. My question is where would I be able to find information on the swords. I would prefer to keep the group together, but obviously the swords are going to be the money items if I do decide to sell the group.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well it depends on what the swords are, post pics of them here if you want. I'm pretty decent with them. I can at least tell you what type they are.

Swords are a mine field.

There are boards where professionals can give you an educated opinion or guide you.

99% souvenier swords are militarey purchases and not rare antiques.

Might have a 1%er-you never know.

Detailed pics are necessary.

Never clean any part inside or out until you get some pro's to look them over.

The rust on the tang inside the handle should be left absolutely alone.

Japanese section at Wehrmacht A&D is a starting point.

Thanks to everyone. I will post some pics at some point this evening. Please check back and give me your opinions.

Need to see the blades on both pieces.

The longer one is a Wakizashi and the shorter one is a Tanto.

The blade is the most important part so detailed pictures of them are important.

The Wak is interesting in that it has manufactured hardware instead of hand made.

The Wakizashi is sporting a WWII Army handle (mount). They started using that style handle in the 30's and up till I think around 1944. Most likely both have older blades in them. The value will be in the blades, and the condition of them.

But these are looking really nice!

Maybe I'm wrong. I know more swords than these. But the menuki with it having the Japanese Cherry blossoms is a sign for Army on the swords. I have no idea if it's any different with these.

I will try to get a detailed blade photo. I do not, however, feel comfortable removing the Hadley's to look at the tang. I would have to let an expert handle that.

THe mounts on the sword look typical military and as stated the blades and tangs are what need to be looked at.One thing if you take them apart do not clean the tangs or blades.Cleaning really devalues the swords to serious blade collectors unles done professionally and can cost hundreds of dollars per inch.Typically the rust on the tangs can be a real indicator of age as well.Orange-reddish rust is a indicator of a fairly modern sword.By modern I am saying made during the war or prior to and most likely less than a 100 years old(in most cases)The darker or blacker the rust the older the blade.Many long swords (katanas) were also made during the war and can be hand made or machine/factory made.THe Wakizashis(short swords) tend to be older in many cases.With short or long swords it isnt uncommon to find an older family or hand made blade in military mounts.Many didnt want to carry the sword or use them with the older mounts and would have them placed in military style fittings.

Both blades look traditionally made. Which means they look hand forged. Usually if you look at them you can see sometimes little pits from oxygen that was trapped when it was folded.

I would imagine both are pretty old blades. Most of the value will now be if they are singed and by who if they are. But both look to be pretty nice.

Really nice find!

I'm far from an expert on these but doesn't the temper line suggest oil vs water was used therefore machine made vice traditionally hand folded?

Regardless they are nice blades!

Thanks to all who offered options on these items. Your information was invaluable. I would like to point out Tarbridge who put me in touch with an expert in the field. It is always nice to get information over the phone from a third party who has no interest in purchasing your items. It gives perspective. Thanks to Hessian and Cplnorton who also helped me tremendously. That just names a few. This forum as a whole is awesome I am glad it exists, and glad I am a member.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the wakizashi would have been army pilots/tanker sword. A lot of the pilots swords are faked now. They take wakizashis and standard type 98 army mounts, cut down the scabbard and throw the blade in the mounts and deem it a piltos/tanker sword. Notice the handle is much shorter than generally found on Type 98 Shin-Guntos, I believe the handle is correct. I still suck at the oil vs water tempered blades. There are some obvious ones, but others have me scratching my head. Do not believe oil tempering means it wasn't hand forged, just not traditionally made. I want to point out that I am by no means an expert in this field, just interested in it more so than other areas and always trying to learn.

-brandon

• 10 months later...

I just bought a grouping of items that belonged to a Lt Jg. He was part of the early occupation force in Japan. Among the items in the group were 3 swords, a box that contained 3 Japanese ships lamps, and another box that appears to have been an electronics box of some kind. The box is covered in Japanese characters on one side and the top, while the reverse is addressed to the vets wife, obviously shipped home as a spoil of war. My question is where would I be able to find information on the swords. I would prefer to keep the group together, but obviously the swords are going to be the money items if I do decide to sell the group.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nice grouping a fantastic pick up well done!