Opinios om this Ithaca, and anyone know where/when it shipped?

Garandy

It's the original finish. It looks really nice. The cross cannon cartouche inspection stamp was applied after finish, so it should be in the white.

The only thing I see is the arched Mainspring housing should only have 7 ribs on an Ithaca, this one I'm counting 8. 8 ribs on a mainspring housing is for Remington Rand.

The barrel should have a HS or F stamp on the lug. The grips should have a star with a number in them on each panel.

Other than the MSH, I think it looks really good.

I have Clawson's book that lists where these were shipped. I just have it packed in a box. I will try to get it out sometime soon if someone else doesn't chime in and get that info for you.

A lot of Ithaca's in this range were shipped to the Navy and as nice as this one is, you might have one shipped to the Navy.

Oh forgot to mention this is a late 1943. Really nice find by the way! These are getting pretty salty in this condition. I sold one about this nice a year or so ago and I got nearly 3k out of it. Which just blows my mind as I remember picking these up for about $600-$700 not that long ago.

I thought I just saw march 44 to usn oakland?

Is usn worth a premium?

From what I have seen it usually adds about 10% premium. They are not super rare, but not super common. As I said earlier many in this range were shipped to the Navy. I've had a few over the years and I usually can figure to get about 10% more when I sell them because of the Navy connection.

Nice pistol! According to Clawson its a 2nd contract gun and could have gone to either Naval Supply Depot Oakland (5000 guns Serial range 1209150-1274132), Topeka Army Air Field (1000 guns serial range 1217370-1275057), Kearney Army Air Field (1000 guns serial range 1222040-1276088), Rock Island Arsenal (4000 guns serial range 1214094-1279351), or Hamilton Field Army Air Base (1621 guns serial range 1208701-1279673). HTH

Tim

This is from the SRS data. No hit on your serial but shows some hits in that range.

1271174 080344USS CAMBRIA
1271510 022748FT MACARTHUR (RECOV)
1272236 071244SS ARGONAUT (QS1)
1272236 071244USN - SAIPAN
1273026 071150CHEROKEE ORD WORKS (EXCESS)
1273364 0225463RD SERVICE CMD
1274930 122945DALLAS (RECOV)
1275467 060349CHATHAM AFB
1276450 050446AIR TRANSPORT CMD
1277361 102051BROKEN ARROW OKL
1278343 071846SELFRIDGE FLD
1279479 011650CID (RECOV)

I had one of these years ago, mint and in the box.....got it from the vets son (vet was a marine)...wrote to a collector who had all of the Ithaca shipping docs on microfiche, and the .45 went to Oakland from Ithaca via the Lehigh Valley R.R....they were in individual boxes packed 50 to a crate. The crate that my pistol was in went to Guam, and this was independently verified by my collector friend who had a pistol from the same crate(!)....his went to a Navy dentist.....stationed on Guam.

BTW that Ithaca is a beauty..!!

did rr and igc ever swap parts

I'm sure purists say no. But the reality was everyone was switching parts. If someone was short, I'm sure someone else would have shipped them stuff. Records for these transactions are few and far between. But there is some proof this stuff did happen.

Personally myself I think it happened way more than we will ever know. But because someone wrote a book 20 years ago, that is what is correct. And everyone loves to get out the books and compare the parts. They were tools, simple as that, and they had a war to win. They would have done everything possible to make sure the line never stopped running.

" I'm sure purists say no. But the reality was everyone was switching parts. If someone was short, I'm sure someone else would have shipped them stuff. Records for these transactions are few and far between. But there is some proof this stuff did happen.

Personally myself I think it happened way more than we will ever know. But because someone wrote a book 20 years ago, that is what is correct. And everyone loves to get out the books and compare the parts. They were tools, simple as that, and they had a war to win. They would have done everything possible to make sure the line never stopped running. "

+1. I agree with this. I'm not knocking books, they are a wealth of info and I have a bunch.

Having said that, being able to handle good stuff up close (and lots of it) is an education in itself.

I tried to find your serial number on the Ithaca records. I was unable to find it though. Unfortunately, Ithaca did not ship these in sequential serial numbers. Sorry I could not help you out.

Chris