WW2 Field Desk

Woody

Seeing the post about WW1 field desk, prompts me to ask if anyone has photographic evidence of the WW2 desks in use in the field? I have seen only one photo of same desk in a shell hole on Guam out in the Pacific. ( page 273 of "War in the Pacific Pearl Harbour to Tokyo Bay by Bernard C. McNalty/Russ Pritchard published by BCA- Salamander Books CN2658. Doesn't appear to have an ISBN No. though there is a bar-code 9 780861 015863

My desk below:-

post-13573-0-66575800-1377819636.jpg

Quartermaster

I have this photo that was captioned "M42 Command Post Tent in Holland 1944"

Seems to be a field desk up front beside the field phone.

Looks like 82nd Airborne patch on sleeve and a glider patch on the overseas cap --- interesting camo on helmet.

I like how they dug down the entire floor for foxhole-like protection, the bare bulb light & wiring and how they hung up the carbine.

M42_Command_Post_Tent_in_Holland_1944.jp

Thanks Dwayne, great pic. I concur with your comments. The officer, possibly a Lt.Colonel, has a familiar face. Can't put a name to him yet. He is wearing a Para/Glider patch on his overseas cap.

• 2 years later...

Could that be Lt. Col. Jack Norton. I think this guy's hair is too gray to be Jack but the face looks like him to me.

Ronnie

• 6 years later...

I found this "OSHKOSH TRUNKS AND LUGGAGE"  U.S. WW2  FIELD DESK last week 11/ 29/2021 the stock number is 26-C-2834 and the locked top stamped B1. - I am slowly and sympathetically cleaning and wax polishing the case and applying clear wax polish to the casing. The internal compartment is totally correct.

Does anyone have a 3'-00" square piece of the original green waxed "paper" to re-cover and repair the back.

I need a B1 Key or / and complete Yale and Towne B1 lock.

Is this Admin Desk of interest ?

Near where I live in the U.K. was the U.S. Navy Smeatharpe WW2 Upottery  Devon Air Base Aerodrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Upottery

P1090550.JPG

P1090554.JPG

P1090556.JPG

P1090559 (1).JPG

P1090560 (1).JPG

I've found keys for my field desks on eBay or other web dealers.  That was years ago so I don't remember exactly where but they are readily available.

....I love this forum, lol.  I have the box, it's a storage box for all my Dads, my brothers and my military memorabilia. If someone had the plans or dimensions. I might rebuild this? I had no idea what this even was.

IMG_20211206_091126.jpg