Show your AAF Uniforms!

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

Fantastic! Thanks for adding some more great examples to this thread.

So, are you just trying to tease me with these 13th uniforms???!!!

Collector .45

Fantastic! Thanks for adding some more great examples to this thread.

So, are you just trying to tease me with these 13th uniforms???!!!

Can't say that I am trying to however I have had a soft spot for 13th AAF for a few years. The opening scene of Unbroken renewed my interest. AAF stuff has always peaked my interest.

- Henry

• 1 month later...

I recently found this and another AAF officer's uniform in a local antique shop, stripped, but with the name in the pocket I figured it was worth taking a chance. Once I did some initial research, I was stunned with the results.

This jacket belonged to a local serviceman who went over to England with the 849th BS / 490th BG, based at RAF Eye. He flew combat missions as a bombardier with the squadron, eventually earning the Air Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters. On the evening of September 27, 1944, he was an aircrew member of the B-17G "Heavenly Body" (43-37776) during a night low-level training flight. While in Nailstone, Leicestershire, the plane was flying too low when the nose dipped and the port wing clipped the ground, resulting in a crash that tragically killed all airmen aboard. He was buried in the Cambridge American Cemetery.

post-112103-0-83860200-1487090306.jpg

Once I locate the perfect ribbon bar, I'll replace it to reflect his record, but I figured this was close enough to present the (mostly) completed restoration project, and appropriate for how he would have worn it in late August / early September of 1944.

Rest in Peace, airman.

post-112103-0-98273500-1487090333_thumb.jpg post-112103-0-71323300-1487090354.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have this one, Dark OD Elastique tunic in remarkably good condition. Nice quality tailoring, fully lined, and looks to be brand new. 1942 dated, Spokane Washington tailor. 40R

image.jpg

Same but as a Major at an event this past Summer.

image.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WWIIinterviews

Seeing some really nice uniforms, thank you guys for sharing. Your posts give me confidence that I can find my first named/history uniform this year....i hope.

As the saying goes "wish this one could talk", An 8th AF pilot who when his tour ended became a stateside instructor. Unidentified, but still a beauty.

post-23999-0-43808600-1515074094.jpgpost-23999-0-60472800-1515074101.jpgpost-23999-0-34205900-1515074111.jpg

doinworkinvans

A beauty indeed! Sometimes it'd be so nice to have an ID but ones like this are just too nice not to have in the collection!

CNY Militaria

Capt. Gerald C-L-O-U-G-H joined the RCAF in 1941, trained in Spitfires, arrived in England in March 1943 and transferred to 9th AAF (363rd Fighter Group). He flew P-51D Mustangs, Shot down a Me 410, aided in the destruction of two others in the air, and took out 2-3 on the ground. He talks about his mission on D-Day in support of the Invasion in the Cross Border Warrior book. He had points to become a trainer pilot, but was wounded in an accident in that capacity, and parachuted to the ground, ending his career.

DSCN6107.jpg

DSCN6108.jpg

doinworkinvans

Justin, always loved this set. Honestly its most likely in my top 5 for uniforms here. I dont know if its the 3rd patch or just what, but this set is just killer.

One more. And this goes under the category of "things go full circle". I use to own the RCAF portion of the Clough grouping that Justin now owns and the following Miley grouping I acquired from Justin. Ike jacket and it's A-2 mate belonged to Carl Miley. He was a member of 133 Eagle Squadron, transferring to the USAAF, 4th Fighter Group, 336 Squadron.

post-23999-0-66224900-1515078494.jpgpost-23999-0-83863300-1515078505.jpgpost-23999-0-15653100-1515078529.jpg

WWIIinterviews

Absolutley fantastic uniforms guys! Besides the uniforms themselves being beautifully maintained, the history behind the jackets is amazing! Can't wait to find my first uniform! Thank you guys for sharing.

• 2 years later...

I just had a look in this thread and i think i have to visit my doctor to but my jaw back in place... My mouth fell open of all the beautifull things a saw... Thanks for showing your wonderfull collections!

I used to collect only Belgian pré war pilot uniforms and uniforms from Belgians with the RAF during the second worldwar but as there is nothing to find nowadays i decided to widen my focus and bring some USAAF back home to the ETO...

After searching for some months now i have to say that i am a litte confused about not finding anything... Do you guys have a explanation why these 8th and specialy 9th airforce tunics are so hard to find?

If someone of you have one for sale, you can always drop me a line, if there is a link with Belgium ( no matter how small ) i am interested but specially searching for a 9th air force uniform from a pilot flying from one of the advanced airfield in Belgium ( Le Culot - Asch - St-Truiden - Chievres - Florennes - Zonhoven - St-Trond - ... )

thank you!

They pop up. Just have to be diligent. I had a good one for sale a while back. Bullion patch, crusher, even a book compiled and published by the son of the vet, and nobody was the slightest bit interested so I traded it to a friend.

• 3 years later...
On 2/26/2020 at 2:18 AM, RVR said:

I just had a look in this thread and i think i have to visit my doctor to but my jaw back in place... My mouth fell open of all the beautifull things a saw... Thanks for showing your wonderfull collections!

I used to collect only Belgian pré war pilot uniforms and uniforms from Belgians with the RAF during the second worldwar but as there is nothing to find nowadays i decided to widen my focus and bring some USAAF back home to the ETO...

After searching for some months now i have to say that i am a litte confused about not finding anything... Do you guys have a explanation why these 8th and specialy 9th airforce tunics are so hard to find?

If someone of you have one for sale, you can always drop me a line, if there is a link with Belgium ( no matter how small ) i am interested but specially searching for a 9th air force uniform from a pilot flying from one of the advanced airfield in Belgium ( Le Culot - Asch - St-Truiden - Chievres - Florennes - Zonhoven - St-Trond - ... )

thank you!

Which parts of the 9th AAF flew from those locations? I'm "restoring" a 9th AAF uniform to a bombardier from the 397th Bombardment Group (he flew in Mitchell Marauders). It's a slow slog given the difficulty finding nice enough insignia for the uniform.