Camo'd Marine Canteen cover

Texas36th

Just picked this up have some other marine covers and was wondering about the camo paint job. It has some marking on it but nothing I can figure out. It does have the wrong hanger on it but I heard that camo just calling my name.

post-13045-0-01383600-1377807030.jpg

post-13045-0-64260100-1377807038.jpg

original cover for sure but the wire hanger was replaced at one point. that paint job looks pretty good to me. just my opinion.

Those USMC canteen hangers always seem to loosen up and fall off, I've replace a couple already as they were missing when I bough them.

Unless you can find a USMC belt hanger and hanger holder I would leave it alone, this cover has character!

Well done!

LF

I have a cammo 2nd pattern cover that has a white metal wire hanger.I did some image hunting and found this from Peleliu. The hanger on your cover is legit I believe.

post-60220-0-72783000-1378122186.jpg

post-60220-0-45779100-1378119589.jpg

THe hook does look more of the army pattern haveing the wider wire bends in the hooks opposed tot he Marine depot made ones.

I had a cross cover once where the webbing and hook were taken off and a longer leather strap was rivited in place with copper rivits.

That sounds like a very interesting bit of kit mate, do you think it is a field mod or a civie alteration ?

When you refer to the wire hanger being more Army pattern, do you mean the cross flap cover or mine ?

Cheers

Sean

I was thinking mine may have been sewn on by the surplus store I got it from. I am going to leave it alone right now just in case it is legit and I don't want to damage it or its history.

• 7 months later...

I was able to pick up some more Marine Canteen covers yesterday and wanted to share on the forum. There are two second pattern cover with UNIS markings and one has a name on the back. The camo'd first pattern cover is the one I like the best. It has some great field painting all over the outside. It does have a few small repairs that does not distract from the cover. I have not seen to much painted marine gear anywhere. I got this out of a large box of field gear at the surplus store.

post-13045-0-12118300-1397674759.jpg

post-13045-0-88511600-1397674778.jpg

Are you buying these from all the same dealer?

There seems to be a flood of faked Unis markings on eBay right now, seems like every dealer who sells these have a never ending supply of these.

LF

Wow...I think all these Covers need to be posted in knd643's M.C. Canteen Covers reference thread.

These are just too good to not be available to see at any time in the Reference Section :)

I am 100 percent sure that these are original marked Marine covers. I really don't want to say where I found them but I have know doubt of their authenticity. Just been lucky to find some great examples to share with the forum. We all have to keep our eyes open to fakes. This forum is a great place to educate each other on what is real by sharing some great information.

Thanks again for the comments

Corpsmancollector

Great covers, all round. Both camo patterns on the P1 and cross-flap look right as rain to me!

Excellent collection of covers,

Will