Fixed bale with unknown airborne marking.

I got this one a little bit a go for the life of me I cant figure out the tac marking. It came with a 5 hole chin cup and Inland para liner. its pretty rusty and has black yellow and possibly a little bit of orange camo on it.

Since it came with this set up I'm assuming its an airborne marking but what I cant figure out. I know the 82nd used one X during the 50s but I have never seen any with two X's on them

Anyone have any ideas?

-j

Great helmet ! When I took my first glance at the x's, I thought to my self tallies. Maybe he was marking down how many campaigns, battles, jumps, kills, etc. he did. Just a guess

Ehh that really doesn't make too much sense to me considering the placement and the fact that its on both sides.

Great helmet ! When I took my first glance at the x's, I thought to my self tallies. Maybe he was marking down how many campaigns, battles, jumps, kills, etc. he did. Just a guess

Ehh that really doesn't make too much sense to me considering the placement and the fact that its on both sides.

Just a thought. Well what ever the markings mean it is a Beautiful airborne helmet. Wish it was in my collection ! again, great helmet.

JK are you saying that you aren't sure of the era of this helmet? Or is it a WW2 used helmet with unfamiliar markings? With all those 50s era markings it opens the door a lot wider than if we are hunting for just WW2 possibilities. Nothing more fun than a good history mystery of course :)

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

The "20th" something or other?

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I agree with SE. I would say that it is obviously a individual applied personal marking from someone that had no artistic talent, nor cared. If it is a correct period item that is now back here in the states, means it was brought home and was possibly some guys way of saying that I completed two combat jumps, or notches if you will. When you look at the close-ups, the white is over the top of the light green which is hard to tell, but looks like chips in the outer paint. My opinion, tallies of some kind.

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

I don't know either Jamie, but man, it's a looker! I really like it! Congrats on this, whatever it is! ;)

Rick

My thoughts too!!....its a killer helmet whatever it is.....mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

I agree with SE. I would say that it is obviously a individual applied personal marking from someone that had no artistic talent, nor cared. If it is a correct period item that is now back here in the states, means it was brought home and was possibly some guys way of saying that I completed two combat jumps, or notches if you will. When you look at the close-ups, the white is over the top of the light green which is hard to tell, but looks like chips in the outer paint. My opinion, tallies of some kind.

That's what I believe as well.

I disagree with the 'tally" theory, as the placement is where most/all airborne unit tac marks would be found.

Plus, why would you "notch" something typically only worn in combat (when jump wing stars would have the same effect)? No one cares how many jumps you have under your belt at the front line...

Jamie any provenance? That's a doozie!

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I disagree with the 'tally" theory, as the placement is where most/all airborne unit tac marks would be found.

Plus, why would you "notch" something typically only worn in combat (when jump wing stars would have the same effect)? No one cares how many jumps you have under your belt at the front line...

Jamie any provenance? That's a doozie!

Thats sort of my feeling on the marks. I've seen notches where the guys wanted to keep personal count, but when you are on the front line almost everyone has a jump or two under their belts.

I don't have any history on it other than its previous owner who I picked up 3 helmets from a month or two ago.

Beautiful helmet.

Maybe it belonged to the Dos Equis guy from the TV commercials?!

post-7885-0-38628800-1377809078.png

"As long as man exists, there will be war. The only way to avoid trouble is to have the best Army, Navy and Air Force." George S. Patton, Jr.

SAVE THE A-10!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2019.gif

Beautiful helmet.

The most interesting helmet in the world!!... :lol: ...mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Beautiful helmet.

now that's funny

Always looking for uniquely marked helmets, WWI and WWII American Field Service items, WWII and earlier USMC items and named or numbered medals and medal groups.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

post-8016-0-48641800-1578110344.jpeg

but when you are on the front line almost everyone has a jump or two under their belts.

I must have missed something, where did we get the information that this was done on the front lines??? The mark is not distinctive to any unit that any of us know about so far, the marks were applied after the cammo or chip marks, are very slopily applied. Whatever they are, and we have 70 years after the war to account for. Why would someone do this after returning home? The same reason I marked my combat worn ACH with the number of mortar attacks I survived wearing that helmet, and my M10 bayonet has the number of Iraqi's I ran through while flying Medevac missions. Could even be the guy's kids who did this during a particular game of backyard combat.

Don't get me wrong, I like the helmet and wouldn't mine having it in my collection, but I don't think this is combat applied.

I will adjust my original thought to either tally, or grandkids during a particularly heavy episode of backyard combat.

So just because its not documented or its sloppy it automatically filed away as a kids doing? I have to disagree with that logic, there are several markings that show up on this forum that are unknown that were period applied. Also If you take a look at some of the helmets in the Paratrooper book by DeTrez some of those tac marks look like they were finger painted on. Also the recent book Hero's in our Midst has a period pic of a trooper in the ETO wearing a tac mark that so far has been unidentified and I at least have never seen till that pic was published.

While I don't know for sure what it is, having it in hand, I'm not ready to discount it as period applied whatever it represents.

So just because its not documented or its sloppy it automatically filed away as a kids doing? I have to disagree with that logic, there are several markings that show up on this forum that are unknown that were period applied. Also If you take a look at some of the helmets in the Paratrooper book by DeTrez some of those tac marks look like they were finger painted on. Also the recent book Hero's in our Midst has a period pic of a trooper in the ETO wearing a tac mark that so far has been unidentified and I at least have never seen till that pic was published.

While I don't know for sure what it is, having it in hand, I'm not ready to discount it as period applied whatever it represents

Since there is no facial expressions involved, if this debate was in person, we would probably be laughing, slapping each other on the back, and having a cup of coffee or some happy fun stuff like that.

As for "automatically" being filed away as a kids doing, those are your words. I think the first "filing" was that it was a tally mark by the original guy. I don't think I jumped any quicker at the tally mark conclusion than the "automatic" conclusion that because this is a Airborne helmet, that it must be a Airborne marking.

As you stated, "I am not ready to discount it as a period applied whatever it represents", but by the same token, I don't see anything that leads me to believe that it is combat applied either. There are way more logical answers to it not being combat applied than combat applied. I'm sure there are books that have pictures, but that is a snapshot of one item at one moment in time. I have a picture of my female Platoon Leader in Iraq wearing a pair of pink pajama pants. Does not mean they were ever allowed, condoned, or worn ever again.

As for books, no offense to the writers, but they are human beings, have a story to tell, and have to have material to bridge that story. Unless each and every bit of evidence has documentable proof, then the material has to be taken with a slight air of caution towards it's authenticity towards the story. Re-said, if some of those books were written as college thesis projects with the provenance/proof they have provided, they wouldn't be "A" projects. Not trying to impune them or their products, but many errors have been proven after print. This has happened many times in the gun community, ergo, it could and maybe has happened in the helmet community.

I'll say it again, not saying this isn't authentic, just that it appeared the "mini/max" approach to this helmet was being "automatically" applied without any check marks in the dissent block.