Nice WW2 Navy Flight Jacket VPB-100 brought into the office today

ludwigh1980

About a week ago, I talked to a lady that was having a yard sale. She told me she had a WW2 Bomber Jacket. Excited, I told what I paid for them and gave her a card. Yesturday, she called me to tell me she had found it! Today she brought it in. Nice jacket, squadron patch is a little worn and the vet's name is bit scratched up (She wrote it down for me) and I believe the liner has been replaced however both squadron patch and the name patch are sewn through it so it is period. Back of the collar is simply stenciled U.S. I like it.

post-23325-0-50689900-1377749180.jpeg

post-23325-0-62801000-1377749189.jpeg

post-23325-0-79939600-1377749199.jpeg

Nice jacket! The lining has been replaced, but looks like it was replaced during the war or shortly thereafter. Since the jacket has US rather than USN under the collar, it would make this jacket either an AN-6552 or an AN-J-3A.

There is some of the history of VPB-200 here: http://www.vpnavy.com/vp200.html

Kurt

Very nice jacket, I like the patch combination and overall look that the jacket has! These USN patched ones are much tougher to find than their AAF counterparts.

Philip

Very nice jacket.

Philip is right, finding nice original patched, and named WW2 Navy flight jackets are way tougher to find than their AAF counterparts.

JD

Very nice jacket.

Philip is right, finding nice original patched, and named WW2 Navy flight jackets are way tougher to find than their AAF counterparts.

JD

I agree! Rare jacket.

Franck

Thanks you all Gents. I am aways excited to get a new bomber Jacket for my Collection. I know very little about Navy ones but as soon as I saw it I decided it was going to stay in the collection. Been finding a lot of keepers lately and my budget has been suffering. Thanks Kurt for the clarification on the type of Jacket. I just have three Bomber Jackets now (2 A-2s and now this one) and I have handled only very few in 20+ years of collecting. I find much more 8th AF stuff around here than I ever find of any other branches, to include Navy and Marines. As always; Terry K, Kurt, Philip, Mikeg, JD, Franck I appreciate your imput. Some great stuff coing out lately,

Happy hunting All!

Terry in Colorado