Field Equipment Storage Question

skautdog

I store my militaria leather belts (Civil war and Indian Wars)by hanging them on the door in my firearms safe. Currently I have my other belts (mostly cotton web and newer nylon pistol belts [indian Wars - current]) laid as flat as possible in recycle #5 poly boxes with each belt separated by archival storage paper.

I'd like to go ahead and attach period basic equipment such as ammo pouches, first aid pouches, canteen covers etc. to each belt. Is there a problem storing such equipment assembled and laid out flat?

Also, if there is a better way to store personal field equipment is it best to store canteen cups and canteens in canteen covers or store each separately?

I'm not storing these items for long term storage, I just don't have a place to hang each belt with it's equipment or likewise have mannequins on which to display them.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I store my militaria leather belts (Civil war and Indian Wars)by hanging them on the door in my firearms safe. Currently I have my other belts (mostly cotton web and newer nylon pistol belts [indian Wars - current]) laid as flat as possible in recycle #5 poly boxes with each belt separated by archival storage paper.

I'd like to go ahead and attach period basic equipment such as ammo pouches, first aid pouches, canteen covers etc. to each belt. Is there a problem storing such equipment assembled and laid out flat?

Also, if there is a better way to store personal field equipment is it best to store canteen cups and canteens in canteen covers or store each separately?

I'm not storing these items for long term storage, I just don't have a place to hang each belt with it's equipment or likewise have mannequins on which to display them.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

I can't see there would be a problem with laying them out flat, with the accessories added, not to be placed in direct sunlight. For displaying your field gear, I would display them in covers and separately, given a different dislay, for you to look at, keeping it interesting. if you had wall space, you could hang them on it, by fitting brackets, which you could move the belt around not to put to much stress on one point of the belt, hope this is of some help to you.

• 5 months later...

Ken,

Only problem I would see in attaching appropriate gear to your belts [at least regarding gear that has a steel hook] is that there is a possibility that the hook will leave rust stains on the belt it's attached to, since cotton [canvas, webbing, etc.] is a natural fabric, and as such, absorbs moisture from the air. Of course, if your items are stored in a climate controlled room, there shouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps out.

Alan

Brass hooks hung from leather belts will have long term problems as the tannins in the leather react with the copper in the brass and create green verdigris, which is not a "patina" but rather the copper equivalent of rust and that will do damage in the long run.

Thanks, Bob.

Most of the items, I've disassembled and have lightly wrapped (really just covered and separated) in preservation grade tissue paper and kept flat in #5 recycle poly boxes in a humidity controlled room (basement). The more valuable (to me) belts I have hung either straight down or over padded supports on my safe door.

Wish there were a magic cure for verdigris.

Ken

Wish there were a magic cure for verdigris.

Ken

I've seen way too many leather knife sheaths and holsters with damage from verdigris: it seems like every M3 shoulder holster I find has a broken lower snap from corrosion.