Ace in a day group

JDK

Thanks again for the comments.

Stony,

Interesting. In my limited research, I didn't read about the POW's being on some of the planes. Although that may not be part of the historic mission that most want to include. I will have to dig into that a little more.

According to what I've read, 2 groups were involved in the battle, the 57th Fighter Group with the RAF 211 Group flying top cover.

JD

flyingtigerfan

Yet another killer grouping, very nice! The 57th is a group you rarely hear about but they did some good work in those P-40s.

-Rob

• 7 months later...
  • 7 years later...

I found a photo of your guy receiving a medal, probably for the mission. Do you know if he was wounded in action? The caption indicates the photo was taken at a hospital afew weeks after the Palm Sunday mission. 

57th Fighter Group.1943.3.Arthur B. Cleaveland.1.jpg

57th Fighter Group.1943.3.Arthur B. Cleaveland.2.jpg

Here's one of the photos that appears in your shadow box along with the captions around the edge and on the back. The photos come from Fold3.com and can be found in the records that are free for vioewing without a membership. I have found a few, including this one, that show members of the 57th Fighter Group preparing for a mission to Russia. 

57th Fighter Group.1943.3.Arthur B. Cleaveland.3.jpg

57th Fighter Group.1943.3.Arthur B. Cleaveland.4.jpg