Small GP Wings on oval

ItemCo16527

Looks like the standard 1/2" glider pilot wing to me. They wouldn't, however, be worn on an airborne oval. Glider pilots were assigned to Army Air Force Troop Carrier Squadrons/Groups not to the Glider Infantry/Artillery/etc. units that they carried into battle, so they would not wear the Airborne Division's shoulder patch or the Glider Infantry/Artillery/etc.'s oval.

The seller claims all the items belonged to a soldier who'd served with the 11th Airborne Division. However, that oval is for the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment which was part of the 101st Airborne Division. think.gif

This lot was put together.

Thank you Jeff!

I was afraid that something has been married in this grouping that is why I wanted to make sure what is this.

Best regards

Greg

pathfinder505
Looks like the standard 1/2" glider pilot wing to me. They wouldn't, however, be worn on an airborne oval. Glider pilots were assigned to Army Air Force Troop Carrier Squadrons/Groups not to the Glider Infantry/Artillery/etc. units that they carried into battle, so they would not wear the Airborne Division's shoulder patch or the Glider Infantry/Artillery/etc.'s oval.

The seller claims all the items belonged to a soldier who'd served with the 11th Airborne Division. However, that oval is for the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment which was part of the 101st Airborne Division. think.gif

This lot was put together.

I thought the same thing.

ItemCo16527
Thank you Jeff!

I was afraid that something has been married in this grouping that is why I wanted to make sure what is this.

Best regards

Greg

Glad I could help, Greg :)

101combatvet

Common wear before the Glider badge was authorized in August 1944. The blue oval could and was worn by other Infantry units.

Common wear before the Glider badge was authorized in August 1944. The blue oval could and was worn by other Infantry units.

Not this blue oval - the light blue inner with dark blue outer is specific to the 502nd.

You're thinking of the dark blue inner one with light blue outer, which was a cross-unit "infantry" one, used by various units before they got their own specific colours.

Cheers,

Glen.

101combatvet

I have a 194th Glider grouping that came with both 501st and 325th ovals..... the later is sewn to the Ike. Another FSSF officer grouping with Airborne Command oval... both were vet purchased by me.... seems like many units just didn't care to much.

Not this blue oval - the light blue inner with dark blue outer is specific to the 502nd.

You're thinking of the dark blue inner one with light blue outer, which was a cross-unit "infantry" one, used by various units before they got their own specific colours.

Cheers,

Glen.