Old tin cannons made from WW2 Grenade parts on ebay...

Morlok

So I was looking around on ebay & stumbled across 2 of these. The seller made no mention of the grenade parts, so the prices were fair. $10 for one & $13 for the other. I had to pick them both up!! Body is a fuse & the stand under it is the spoon...pretty neat! These are the pictures from ebay...I'll post nice pictures when I get them in a few days!

post-67213-0-11996200-1377574919.jpg

post-67213-0-70972200-1377574929.jpg

post-67213-0-21627300-1377574939.jpg

Very neat one! I remember seeing photos of these in one of my lead soldier collecting books under the "Equipment" section. The author, Richard O'Brien's research shares:
"The toy was called the "Howie" and an ad in the July, 1946 Toys & Novelties revealed the owner to be Curran Artware Mfg. Co. of Downer's Grove, Illinois." He lists an estimated value of $25.
-Johannes

Very neat one! I remember seeing photos of these in one of my lead soldier collecting books under the "Equipment" section. The author, Richard O'Brien's research shares:

"The toy was called the "Howie" and an ad in the July, 1946 Toys & Novelties revealed the owner to be Curran Artware Mfg. Co. of Downer's Grove, Illinois." He lists an estimated value of $25.

-Johannes

Worthpoint shows several being sold on ebay over the last few years and the typical price is $25-30, but one in a mint box can do much better:

can3.jpg

can2.jpg

If you do a search on eBay for Howie toy cannon, there are three examples up right now..each still has it's box...prices range from $50 - $65....

Mark sends

Thanks for the comments! Here's a broken one for $5.99 that could probably be used as a proper fuse again!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-VINTAGE-1940S-50S-CAST-METAL-TIN-CANON-BARREL-FIRING-MECH-MADE-IN-USA-/171112727403?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item27d71d036b

And here's one still in the box. I let the seller know what it is, as they had no idea what it was!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vINTAGE-ANTIQUE-WAR-TOY-HOWIE-CANNON-SHELLS-BOX-WWII-PINEAPPLE-GRENADE-PARTS-/321194754102?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item4ac8b30036

I'll bet that sellers don't mention grenade parts in the listing because grenades of any kind are not allowed on ebay. I suspect most auctions that do, will be pulled.

Very cool toys! I have a few "home front" toys from when my Dad was a kid during the war, I think they're all very neat and ingenious how they made them from various bits and pieces!

Congrats on these very cool cannons!

Rick

Looks like the seller decided to throw in the broken cannon for free! It was being offered for $5.99, but he said he would throw it in for no charge! I'll report back when I receive them.

Again, Thanks for all the comments! These seem to be a pretty neat item, for something that is probably often overlooked...

Coconut Harry

And here's one still in the box. I let the seller know what it is, as they had no idea what it was!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vINTAGE-ANTIQUE-WAR-TOY-HOWIE-CANNON-SHELLS-BOX-WWII-PINEAPPLE-GRENADE-PARTS-/321194754102?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item4ac8b30036

You've never heard the saying....

"never smarten up a chump, and never give a sucker an even break" W.C. Fields ca.1934

I'm in agreement with him on this......

especially an item on eBay you collect and would like to get for maybe a song.....

It's sometimes best to tell people what they have after you've won the item & payed for it

...I've been nice before informing sellers & one time the seller sent a 3 word reply to me.....

"Really, OK, thanks" then ended the listing and re-listed it for much more $$$.....I didn't bid

"WOW!!....it's made from part of a REAL WW2 grenade?? must be super rare, I'll ask more for it"

Seriously...they're really neat old school toys.....I have one mint with the box and all the wooden bullets...mine has the rounded end bullets, some are just cut off flat..paid $30 bucks a few years back for it.

"Be careful you can put someone's eye out with that thing"

Steve