Partial Silver Star Group to RADM Powell M. Rhea, D-Day C.O., USS Nevada at Normandy, Cherbourg

aerialbridge

aerialbridge

I was one of the also-ran bidders on this live auction that ended earlier this afternoon. I have a hunch the high bidder would have gone a lot higher. Ended very cheap, IMO, for what it was. A variety of things, highlight being the cased USN full wrap Silver Star (2 awards) with very nice private engraving, full sized Mexico Service (presumably numbered) and WWi Victory-- no other full sized medals, but the heavy hitters were there. Ribbon racks, officer's bullion submarine dolphins, O-6 shoulder boards, WW2 oval dog tags and Rhea's Captain's Commission signed by Frank Knox and some other items. 8 pages of scans follow for posterity.

Rhea graduated Annapolis in 1915 and died in 1969 on his 78th birthday. He commanded USS Nevada from 7/43-10/44. He's buried in his home state of Arkansas.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1114910

post-18406-0-68570500-1377494120.jpg

post-18406-0-84942100-1377494128.jpg

post-18406-0-10788300-1377494165.jpg

Geez to bad I never saw this Ive been looking for a grouping to a navy double Silver star recipient from the ETO for a while. I think my pocketbook is happy that I missed this though ;)

This is absolutely amazing !!!!!!!

I like the group very much. I don't know if this is the whole group, or if other items have been sold off else where. I would say the winning bidder got a deal!

Sorry it was not you AB!! :(

aerialbridge

Geez to bad I never saw this Ive been looking for a grouping to a navy double Silver star recipient from the ETO for a while. I think my pocketbook is happy that I missed this though ;)

This is absolutely amazing !!!!!!!

Yeah, like I said, it went really cheap. Whoever got it, got a very good deal for his collection or for resale. Ebay would have been double or more, easy, IMO.

aerialbridge

I like the group very much. I don't know if this is the whole group, or if other items have been sold off else where. I would say the winning bidder got a deal!

Sorry it was not you AB!! :(

Thanks, JS, appreciate that. But, I'm okay. I had my limit, was hoping for a sleeper, but stuck to my limit. I'm glad to be able to at least share the pictures with our forum members that will enjoy seeing them, as I did.

AAF_Collection

Great group, but I wonder what the fantastic set of bullion Gwendyr Make AAF Navigators wings are doing in the grouping?.

aerialbridge

Nick and firefighter, Glad you guys enjoyed this group and if I had more scans to post, I would-- but I didn't end up with it. It's one that got away. As for Luftstalag's question of what it went for, can do. But let's make it interesting. What would you say it's objectively worth? We can make this a fun exercise in testing current market value. Let's give it a day for anyone to throw in their appraisal, and then if they want, take a guess at what it went for, with the clue that I think it went very "cheap".

Bummer.Sorry missed that part.Cool to see he has an arrowhead on the EAME ribbon for Normandy invasion.

I would guess $3400.