Interesting Civil Defense Helmet

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

Got this on eBay a few days ago for the high price of under $20 shipped. I knew I needed to get a CD helmet for the collection but I wanted one that was used and didn't just sit in a bomb shelter for years. This helmet I believe is the least common Civil Defense helmet type you usually see the standard CD helmet or a re-purposed M1917. This one is made by B.F McDonald Mfg Co. in LA it has a nice large factory painted Air Raid Warden insignia and is named to a H. Meister it looks like there was a address tag on it at one point. The leather is very fragile but everything's still in one piece.

post-104619-0-39818700-1377489014.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Looks like a civilian hard hat converted for use by CD.

I thought hard hats were made from the same materials as helmet liners. EDIT I found you are right B.F McDonald is a well know hard hat company and it's made of aluminum but since I have found another and the insignia is so well painted I think they made some CD helmets.

Very nice CD helmet. The decal on the front represents the "Air Raid/Watch." These are actually quite common.

Still a great helmet.

HOS

SergeantMajorGray

Nice helmet. Need a gas mask and bag set to display with it?

I might my birthday is coming up PM me with the details please.

SergeantMajorGray

Very nice CD helmet. The decal on the front represents the "Air Raid/Watch." These are actually quite common.

Still a great helmet.

HOS

I like that it's named you usually don't see that. I know air raid helmets are common but is this manufacturer common?

SergeantMajorGray

Any one got any tips on the leather in that one spot other than don't touch it? lol it looks like it breaking is inevitable.

Looks like a civilian hard hat converted for use by CD.

My experience has been that the most common Civil Defense helmets were these deep bowl helmets. Paste this phrase into google and then click googles IMAGES link, and you'll see lots of this style with CD markings on the forum:

site:usmilitariaforum.com civil defense helmet

SergeantMajorGray

My experience has been that the most common Civil Defense helmets were these deep bowl helmets. Paste this phrase into google and then click googles IMAGES link, and you'll see lots of this style with CD markings on the forum:

site:usmilitariaforum.com civil defense helmet

It looks like I only see one of this type the rest of them are the Mccord made helmets.

USMC-RECON0321

Here are some that I had at one time, but traded them off. Some are re-purposed GI issue WWI and WWII and one hard hat issue.

post-33000-0-18036000-1377714829.jpg

post-33000-0-97249200-1377716317.jpg

SgtMajorGrey

did you say your CD helmet is made out of aluminum? I also have one of these painted in factory OG and it's made of steel with the fixed loops varient

I noticed yours has the removable suspension that clips onto the shell, Ive seen this same design on later versions of aluminum hard hats made by B.F. McDonald Co, Los Angeles

I think yours may even be a later design CD helmet? could even be from the 1950's - 60's

SergeantMajorGray

SgtMajorGrey

did you say your CD helmet is made out of aluminum? I also have one of these painted in factory OG and it's made of steel with the fixed loops varient

I noticed yours has the removable suspension that clips onto the shell, Ive seen this same design on later versions of aluminum hard hats made by B.F. McDonald Co, Los Angeles

I think yours may even be a later design CD helmet? could even be from the 1950's - 60's

It could be steel all the other B.F Mcdonald hard hats are made from aluminum but they are not the same design as this one. Why do you think the decal could be later is it because it's larger? from what I've seen post WW2 helmets have CD decals.

SergeantMajorGray

I have found 3 more of the exact helmet all named to different wardens all coming out of Grasonville Maryland. the other 3 came out of a mans estate but were named to different people perhaps he was the local commander and kept all the helmets.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...