USMC Purple Heart

doyler

Going through some old rikers I had I ran across this PH I have had for several years.Never researched it.Figured it was a Viet Nam era one.

post-342-0-01784700-1377483247.jpg

Looks right as rain. Here is his info:

William Henry Kennedy
Private First Class

PERSONAL DATA
Home of Record: Memphis, Tennessee
Date of birth: Tuesday, 11/09/1948

MILITARY DATA
Service: Marine Corps (Regular)
Grade at loss: E2
ID No: 2376368
MOS: 0311 Rifleman
LenSvc: Less than one year
Unit: I CO, 3RD BN, 1ST MARINES, 1ST MARDIV

CASUALTY DATA
Start Tour: Tuesday, 11/14/1967
Cas Date: Thursday, 12/21/1967
Age at Loss: 19
Remains: Body Recovered
Type: Hostile, Died
Reason: Gun, Small Arms Fire - Ground Casualty

ON THE WALL Panel 32E Line 036

Believe this is him.

Going through some old rikers I had I ran across this PH I have had for several years.Never researched it.Figured it was a Viet Nam era one.

attachicon.gif2013_0825milstuff329130002.JPG

Believe this is him

Private First Class
I CO, 3RD BN, 1ST MARINES, 1ST MARDIV
United States Marine Corps
09 November 1948 - 21 December 1967
Memphis, Tennessee
Panel 32E Line 036

His story is exactly the same as every combat related death I have ever read from The Wall....."small arms fire". I almost dislike the words.

Yep 5 weeks in-country and, must have been a horrible Christmas for his family. God Bless Him, His Family and all who have laid down their lives for our freedom.

John

Yep 5 weeks in-country and, must have been a horrible Christmas for his family. God Bless Him, His Family and all who have laid down their lives for our freedom.

John

I had a small 101st KIA group once the soldiers mother gave me.Had his medals etc.She kept the full size PH and Silver Star.He was a medic in the 506th.Hit VN Dec 67 and was kia in January 68 maybe a little over 3 weeks maybe 5 dont recall.I gave most it back to his younger brother several years later.The brother didnt want the uniforn,jump boots,etc.Just what I had mounted in a frame with the help of my dad who built the frame.I gave him the frame as well.THe brother told me to go see his mom as there were a fw things in the foot lockers yet.The lockers wer all from family(son,father and step father...long story).So I went to look.Never will forget opening up his foot locker and looking in it.There amonst a lot of papers and odds and ends was a box wrapped in Christmas paper.Maybe a watch or a pen and pencil set.As I was reading the tag his mother said.."That was Johnnys from me and his step dad.he never opned it.Still makes the hair on my neck stand up.She gave me another copy of his funeral card and a letter from graves registration.It listed many of the things in the foot locker and the items I had as well.