WWII USMC early double snap First Aid Pouch

Justin

This was on ebay recently, I think it's the first time I've ever seen one for sale. Of course it was ended early on an offer.

What do you guys think about it?

What do you think it would have sold for?

Firstaid_zpsa14acb4b.jpg

Firstaid_1_zpsba47177d.jpg

Looks real to me, but to confirm I would have to see those snaps.

LF

I have a photo of the snaps but photo bucket crashed, will try again.

ALL HANDS!

I followed this pouch on eBay and can confim that it is 100% correct and original. Both the female AND MALE (MOST IMPORTANT!!!!) portions of the snaps were "Carr" marked as they should be.

The pouch itself is what I refer to as a "Type 2" which I believe came into service post-WWI in the early 20's. It is in good condition, though not exceptionally so. I have several of this type in approximately similar condition and have never paid (on eBay) more than $200 to $250 (a couple of times only roughly half that amount) for one, although its been a while.

This pouch originally was put up for auction with a rather dented up, Navy contract, Carlisle dressing packet for $500 Buy It Now. There were no takers, so the next week the pouch alone was put up with a starting price of $250. A couple of days later, the pouch was shown as sold on a Buy It Now for $350.00! There was only one bidder, and in my opinion, he was maybe too anxious. In 10 years watching ebay for these, this is the most expensive one I have seen sold as far as I can recollect. As I said, though, I haven't been actively pursuing one for some time, so maybe this is now the new pricing reality......

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

I agree its a real one.I was commenting on the part its hard to say what its worth as its usually up to the buyer what he wants to pay.............

ALL HANDS!

I followed this pouch on eBay and can confim that it is 100% correct and original. Both the female AND MALE (MOST IMPORTANT!!!!) portions of the snaps were "Carr" marked as they should be.

The pouch itself is what I refer to as a "Type 2" which I believe came into service post-WWI in the early 20's. It is in good condition, though not exceptionally so. I have several of this type in approximately similar condition and have never paid (on eBay) more than $200 to $250 (a couple of times only roughly half that amount) for one, although its been a while.

This pouch originally was put up for auction with a rather dented up, Navy contract, Carlisle dressing packet for $500 Buy It Now. There were no takers, so the next week the pouch alone was put up with a starting price of $250. A couple of days later, the pouch was shown as sold on a Buy It Now for $350.00! There was only one bidder, and in my opinion, he was maybe too anxious. In 10 years watching ebay for these, this is the most expensive one I have seen sold as far as I can recollect. As I said, though, I haven't been actively pursuing one for some time, so maybe this is now the new pricing reality......

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

Most USMC FA pouches have reached high price, up to $400 in the last months ... $200-250 is no more the reference value unless the item is not properly described / identified on Ebay.

Furthermore, the pouch of the OP is not the one that sold recently on Ebay for $350, but it's the same pattern.

Ron,

I agree 100% that the buyer decides what something is worth. My commebts were a reflection of my past experience with this type item, and I am clearly out of date. Time to readjust my financial planniing!!

Etienne,

You are absolutely correct. Checking completed sales on ebay, I find that the pouch mentioned and shown in this thread is NOT the one I recently followed on ebay, so my discussion of the amount it sold for is not accurate for the pouch pictured above. I am getting old and my memory seems to be slipping, I guess.....

If the new standard price for these Marine FAPs is now in the range you mention, perhaps I should consider doing some selling!

My apologies for my error in identification of this pouch, and as for my comments on pricing, I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight.

I'll just shut up now, before I step on something that will really hurt!

Apologetically submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

My apologies for my error in identification of this pouch, and as for my comments on pricing, I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight.

I'll just shut up now, before I step on something that will really hurt!

Apologetically submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

Hello Terry,

please don't shut up as your advice is always interesting ... I just wanted to correct not to be aggressive, sorry if I did :blush:

There will be a long time before you step on something that will hurt me B)

Regards,

E

I was watching this pouch as I am actively hunting one for my Guadalcanal the auction ended very quickly, and I am still looking :)

Cheers

Sean

ALL HANDS!

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

The pouch refereed to the the post above is not the pouch in the picture in this post.

The pouch refereed to in this post was mine and it did go to a forum member.

I believe the pouch to be worth up to $400, but settled on $350 because I identified the seller as a member here.

Otherwise I may still have the pouch.

Pic of the pouch I sold for Ref.

post-2260-0-37970700-1377521402.jpg

Pep

With so many new USMC collectors recently, new collectors are starting to realize how rare these and the shovel covers really are. There isn't a month or two that goes by that somebody posts a want add here for one, heck even I posted one a few years back. The USMC display just doesn't look complete without one of these pouches.

I figured about the $350 as well.

Welcome to the world of USMC collecting!

LF

OK, guys, I'll put an end to this discussion to avoid buyer's bashing ... I bought the FA pouch :excl:

Sometimes, you know, you really want something and you pay for it ... the pouch was not cheap, but I lost several auctions for such pouches in the past 3 years, and most went above the price I paid ... :blink:

I'm not new to USMC collection and I felt the pouch was worth it, so Pep and me found an agreement on price, that's all ... feel free to think whatever you want, I am too B)

Well done!!

Nice addition to your collection!!

These pouches are rare and I understand why they go for so much especially with so many USMC collectors these days.

I paid $180 for mine, people always said why did you pay so much for a first aid pouch?

Then they start trying to locate one for themselves and realize what a pain it is to locate one.

You did well congradulation!

LF

Well done!!

Nice addition to your collection!!

These pouches are rare and I understand why they go for so much especially with so many USMC collectors these days.

I paid $180 for mine, people always said why did you pay so much for a first aid pouch?

Then they start trying to locate one for themselves and realize what a pain it is to locate one.

You did well congradulation!

LF

As a matter of fact, I was lucky enough to find another one, a few weeks ago with a identified grouping, and paid way less ... but it was a late pattern, probably 1940-1941.

Some holes in a collection do have to be filled ... that's what addiction is :blush:

I have bought a couple of these pouches myself.

I paid $250 from a forum member for my first one that is 100% original and one of my favorite USMC field gear items.

I later paid $350 from a forum member for a second one that is....uhm.....questionable. When I purchased the pouch I was not armed with the latest information on these pouches and while it looked good at first it ended up raising a lot of questions amongst advanced collectors.

Here's a link to detailed photos of my questionable $350 pouch, marked P. ROBERSON

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smtphotos/sets/72157633444526174/

I would not buy another one of this type marked P. ROBERSON - Some believe it's a legit USMC item, but the experts on this sight have made a strong case against it. I never made any attempt to ask for my money back on this one because I doubt the previous owner knew it was bad and there just isn't enough information to make a strong enough case.

I'm sharing this information for members to make up their own mind before purchasing. Most advanced USMC collectors have also been burned on this type of pouch as well. My suggestion is to play it safe and make sure both male and female snaps are properly marked. Otherwise you may have a very expensive and debatable pouch in your collection like me ;) luckily this is the only fake that has tricked me so far but it's never nice to admit something you thought was real isn't.

There are members here who know more than me in identifying this fake pouch and I'm hoping they will chime in and explain more - my ego will not be hurt and please use the photos of my pouch to explain to the other members why it's bad, learn from my mistake and don't buy this pouch that has tricked even the big USMC gear book publishers.

The other pouch named to three Marines photographed with the P. ROBERSON pouch is 100% legit.

On a better note, I was lucky to recently find a stash of three original shovel covers with the lightweight strap material - in my experience much harder to find than the first aid pouches.

-Steve

Steve,

You're Roberson Pouch is the style I own. It's just a style not often seen.

Check out the thread about it as a lot of questions were answered with the help of Bagman.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/136451-wwii-usmc-rare-early-first-aid-pouch-double-snap/?hl=%2Busmc+%2Bfirst+%2Baid+%2Bpouch

You're pouches look great,

LF

Nice pouch.

I must be out of touch with the current market. I have bought 3 of these pouches on ebay in the last few years and i don't think I paid more than $90 for any of them. or maybe i just got lucky...

-Jay

Nice pouch.

I must be out of touch with the current market. I have bought 3 of these pouches on ebay in the last few years and i don't think I paid more than $90 for any of them. or maybe i just got lucky...

-Jay

You were lucky, no doubt B)

I bought mine for about 50 cents at a yard sale or swap meet. Hard to remember. that was 20+ years ago. just pulled it out to look at it again. didn't realize that they were that rare. it was in my pile as just another variation. I am doing a one day display for Guadalcanal, so I think I will use it.

S/F

John

Steve,

You're Roberson Pouch is the style I own. It's just a style not often seen.

Check out the thread about it as a lot of questions were answered with the help of Bagman.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/136451-wwii-usmc-rare-early-first-aid-pouch-double-snap/?hl=%2Busmc+%2Bfirst+%2Baid+%2Bpouch

You're pouches look great,

LF

Hi LF,

I also believed this was a legitimate style of production, so do many of the other experts I've asked about it.

That being said, a member on the site has made a very strong case against this style of pouch and I respect that there's a chance this style might not be original.

I hope this topic will be resolved someday but I still look at this pouch with some doubt. I guess at this point, maybe the verdict is still out, but I don't think I would spend $350 on this type again until I'm sure they are original period items. I'll stick with the earlier styles, just to be safe. Has anyone received this style of pouch directly from a veteran?

When I say this style, I mean the type with the more rounded flap and lack of CARR markings on the rear of the male snaps inside the pouch, you need to flip the pouch inside out to see this detail.

LF if you could provide a photo of the back of the male snaps on your pouch, I would be very curious to see them. I'd be curious to see if it has the CARR markings on the back of the male snaps.

USMC DQP items are getting increasingly valuable and a good target for the fakers. I think it's important we iron out what's original and what's not before it becomes too late. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I am happy to put out my P. ROBERSON pouch for discussion and reference.

-Steve

I bought mine for about 50 cents at a yard sale or swap meet. Hard to remember. that was 20+ years ago. just pulled it out to look at it again. didn't realize that they were that rare. it was in my pile as just another variation. I am doing a one day display for Guadalcanal, so I think I will use it.

S/F

John

Some views of mine

Front

post-5056-0-25958800-1378086790.jpg