Blued or Parkerized How can I tell the difference?

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

I picked up a Model of 1905 bayonet dated 1908. It has been outfitted with WWII plastic grips. I wanted it to fit in my Detroit Gasket scabbard. It appears to be blued rather than parked. I searched bayonet points and found that some early 1905s that were used in France during WWI, were blued in France. No numbers are available. It appears that my bayonet was lightly sharpened and then blued (maybe). Some of the sharpened areas have rust blooms coming through the finish. Not sure how to tell if it is really blued or not other than the fact that it looks very smooth and blue. Then there is the question whether or not it was simply blued by someone recently. There is no smell of cold blue. With the grips off, you can see that the handle area is not particularly blue, but maybe only the blades were blued. Don't know. What's up with this thing? Any ideas?

IMG_0040_zps597868a2.jpg

IMG_0041_zps7b74c7f4.jpg

IMG_0042_zpsba8496f9.jpg

IMG_0044_zps15f15ffd.jpg

Thanks for the quick responses. The real question then, is why is it blued? Based on the bit of research I've done. The only time the older 1905s were blued was during WWI as a way to dull the bright finish of the original bayonet. I'm not sure a determination is possible given the possibility that my bayonet could have been bubba blued (although it is a fine job of bluing). Thanks again.

Marv

Blueing is a simple process that many past gun owners have used to stop and prevent rusting. It is possible that it was service blued, no way of really telling.

As for the tang, the quality of bluing depends on how well the surface is polished before the process is performed. Since the tang is covered by the grips, there is no real need to polish that area.